Thread: Virtualbox: vdi inaccessible

Beans

Virtualbox: vdi inaccessible

I have been using Virtualbox for many years now without any issues. I have a Windows7 vdi that has been working for about 6 months without any issues.

Today I launched Virtualbox and the vdi said it was inaccessible. I read some posts on how to fix it like running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup and modprobe vboxdrv, but neither of these commands seemed to help.

I will be happy to run any diagnostics you can suggest. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Virtualbox: vdi inaccessible

Hello!
    Today I think I experienced the same problem. As you can see on the picture attached, virtualbox advises me to create new disks, while the already existing become accessible... However I ignored the message and succeeded to operate with my virtual machines (with slower performance, but working).

I was wondering should expect these machines to become accessible? And if yes when, why and how should I expect this? Anyone acquainted with VirtualBox, please help...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virtualbox: vdi inaccessible

Quote Originally Posted by mayhembg23 View Post
    Hello!
    Today I think I experienced the same problem. As you can see on the picture attached, virtualbox advises me to create new disks, while the already existing become accessible... However I ignored the message and succeeded to operate with my virtual machines (with slower performance, but working).

I was wondering should expect these machines to become accessible? And if yes when, why and how should I expect this? Anyone acquainted with VirtualBox, please help...
    That just means that something the Virtual Machine requires to run is not available to it. If you have a VM on another disk and have not mounted the disk you will get this. The same if you move or remove virtual disks ( isos).
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!