Thread: Install alongside Windows not showing.

Beans

Install alongside Windows not showing.

Hello,

I'm not very experienced in working with Ubuntu. I did try it using Wubi to install and that I liked very much. But now with the latest version (10.10) the wubi installer isn't showing every option. How do I get the old interface where you can install it alongside Windows?

The first attachment is what I get when opening wubi.exe and the second one is what I would like. That is a 10.04 version.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install alongside Windows not showing.

Did you download an iso that doesn't support wubi e.g. edubuntu or the alternate iso etc?

See the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide for info on installing wubi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The current version of Wubi offers 10.04 . To get Wubi for 10.10 installation You can download the 10.10 ISO , burn a cd , and run Wubi from the disk.

Another option is to use the link and scroll to the bottom of the page and download Wubi .exe. http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Frogs Hair, I checked a few days ago and they've updated the main download to 10.10 now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    @Frogs Hair, I checked a few days ago and they've updated the main download to 10.10 now.

Thanks! the last time I installed Wubi with a friend it was 10.04 and we used the index page to get 10.10.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

I'm just using the normal Ubuntu distro. After using the Universal USB Installer to get the Netbook version of Ubuntu on my 2Gb flash drive, all the wubi.exe's I try to install are "Ubuntu Netbook-menu". I try's deleting all the wubi's iso's and my temp files using Ccleaner but every time I start up a freshly downloaded Wubi.exe the Netbook version is shown. Like seen on the first attachment. I downloaded the wubi from here, which is clearly the desktop version. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...dows-installer

Beans

This is very weird. I just unplugged the usb flash drive and the next wubi I downloaded was the right one. I this some kind of software malfunction?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrth View Post
    This is very weird. I just unplugged the usb flash drive and the next wubi I downloaded was the right one. I this some kind of software malfunction?
    There is no 'netbook' version of wubi.exe. Wubi.exe is supposed to check where it is running and restrict the choices accordingly - there's no point e.g. in offering Kubuntu if you are running wubi from an Ubuntu CD.

Wubi also looks all over to find installation media - so it scans optical drives etc. So - I guess - even if you are running Wubi from a folder (not the USB) but the USB is plugged in - it finds it and decides to restrict the choice.

Note wubi often cannot install from USB if it's > 900MB. This is because Wubi has a very simple check to prevent installation from DVD images - it won't allow an image > 900MB. And many USBs are bigger than that. So wubi fails them and tries to download from the net instead.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    There is no 'netbook' version of wubi.exe. Wubi.exe is supposed to check where it is running and restrict the choices accordingly - there's no point e.g. in offering Kubuntu if you are running wubi from an Ubuntu CD.

Wubi also looks all over to find installation media - so it scans optical drives etc. So - I guess - even if you are running Wubi from a folder (not the USB) but the USB is plugged in - it finds it and decides to restrict the choice.

Note wubi often cannot install from USB if it's > 900MB. This is because Wubi has a very simple check to prevent installation from DVD images - it won't allow an image > 900MB. And many USBs are bigger than that. So wubi fails them and tries to download from the net instead.
    But why does the wubi on the netbook iso I put on my usb drive not show the install inside windows option? I mean not downloading the whole iso all over again and just use the files that are on the drive to install it inside windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrth View Post
    But why does the wubi on the netbook iso I put on my usb drive not show the install inside windows option? I mean not downloading the whole iso all over again and just use the files that are on the drive to install it inside windows.
    Yeah that's a good question. I haven't tried out wubi on USB so can't offer any opinion.