Thread: conected but no internet

Beans

Unhappy conected but no internet

hello,

I switched my broken XP system to mint10, but had a few issues with the internet, so witched to ubuntu 10 last night. the thing is, at the school's residences, we have internet but we heavh have our own username/password to log in. so the network is available to connect to, both wirelessly and wired, but i cant figure out where to put my username and password, on XP if i tried to connect it would ask me for my U/P but on ubuntu it just connects right away, dosent ask me anything (U/P) and i cant get on the net.

i know its a PPPoE connection, and dont really know much else of the top of my head on the service but i can search. I don't know my systems' specifications, its a friend who lent it to me, but ask me what to type in terminal and il get it.

thanks a lot

Beans

Re: conected but no internet

Quote Originally Posted by krymz View Post
    the thing is, at the school's residences, we have internet but we heavh have our own username/password to log in.
    Do you have a link to your schools/residences website so we can check what the requirements are from the IT department for XP. Based on this we could probably formulate a reply for the procedure on Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Do you have a link to your schools/residences website so we can check what the requirements are from the IT department for XP. Based on this we could probably formulate a reply for the procedure on Ubuntu.
    hmm.. i tried to get to the website, but theres no info on the requirement or anything like that. i might be able to copy/paste the instruction for connecting with XP when i get to the residences, plus its in french and i don't know if there is a english option for the site.

is there anything else i can get you?

Beans

you probably need a PPPoE connection, in Network Manager this is called DSL go to the network icon top right, right click and select Edit connection.

Once you know its PPPoE you need you can search for relevant help if it isn't obvious.