Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No SWAP in use !! Help!

AGP card, forget 3d, compiz and so on

Beans
    Hidden!

Almost certainly that videocard and the drivers it requires. Its 9 years old, Im shocked it even works with todays kernels (and compiz?). Didnt nvidia end support for geforce 4 like half a decade ago?

Anyway, perhaps there is a fix, Im not sure, but at the very least Id make sure you disable desktop effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    wow - that bad ! so, basically if my motherboard has only AGP I can forget performance improvements ? or is there an alternative to 9 yr old AGP cards ?
    Thanks a lot !

Beans
    Hidden!

AGP isnt the issue. If you can find a more modern videocard with an AGP interface, it should work fine as well. Problem is nVidia hasnt made anything on AGP since geforce 6 or 7 I think (and youd want at least a geforce 8 or 9 to get the full benefit of VPDAU etc). You can find fairly modern ATI cards for AGP but they cost an arm and a leg for the performance and features, and ATI isnt too great for linux.

Anyway, for $10 you should be able to find a geforce 6200 AGP or something on ebay. Its a crap card as well, but at least it can use the latest drivers. For now. Do check if your motherboard supports AGP 8x.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As a point of reference a year ago I was using an AGP mobo with AMD Sempron 1.6Mhz CPU and an FX5200 AGP 8X which ran Compiz successfully. A new FX6200 AGP can be had on-line for ~$40.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    This is simply not true. Plenty of AGP cards can handle 3D and compiz. Not something as old as a geforce4, of course, but still...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    This is simply not true. Plenty of AGP cards can handle 3D and compiz. Not something as old as a geforce4, of course, but still...
    I used to run compiz (well, actually Beryl) on a geforce2 MX! Of course, that was eons ago on ubuntu 6.06 and when X and nvidia drivers still supported that card properly. It also wasnt very fast but enough to have a 3d cube somewhat smooth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by m0nstersnatch View Post
    A Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600/AGP/SSE2 is in use with 96.43.17 drivers installed.

The thing is, I would't complain for a little bit of poor performance when I start going crazy with tabs and 20+ applications running and compiz doing all the special effects, but the hardware I have should work fine at least for 1 application in use - so, if I start Chromium, Firefox or Opera I would gladly watch a short flash movie online w/o getting nauseous..

What else could it be?! I also cleaned the system using bleachbit. The kernel in use is 2.6.32-28-generic
    So now I bought a new video card: Nvidia GeForce GT430 with driver version 260.19.06
    There is now definitely improved performance regarding flash movies BUT this comes also to an end if I watch more then 1h lots of flash videos. After that it gets again shaky and sometimes even audio/video delay - not as ridiculous as before the new video card, but still...
    Is this normal?! Do you experience as well such behavior ?!
    PS. I have a 1080 monitor (hp 2510), but I do not watch the flash videos in more then 720p. 1080p flash video is not working at all ;(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12