Thread: Why is the quality of science education declining in America?

Beans

Why is the quality of science education declining in America?

I'm finishing a proposal that will present solutions to solve the apparent decline in quality of science education in the U.S. Also, I'm looking for thought generators, out-of-the-box approaches and some rhetorical devices.
    Last edited by howefield; February 8th, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: remove font formatting.

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Why is the quality of science education declining in America?

if it was possible to make as much doing research as you can on wall street, more scientists/engineers/mathematicians would do research. its no secret that the best minds are poached by hedge funds and banks. there just isn't enough money to be made by pursuing science.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nmaster View Post
    if it was possible to make as much doing research as you can on wall street, more scientists/engineers/mathematicians would do research. its no secret that the best minds are poached by hedge funds and banks. there just isn't enough money to be made by pursuing science.
    A few of the best, but probably not the majority. The best minds I know chose science over financial considerations. You can make a good living at it. Going into quant finance is more about chutzpah and how willing you are to gamble that something works without the opportunity to prove it (basically online experiments). It does not require the best mind, just the ability to get others to follow.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No idea if it is or isn't, what I do know is - this is not the place for this discussion.

Education & Science
    A place to discuss scientific and mathematics software for Ubuntu or linux in general.
    Closed.