Thread: How to make it a career?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question How to make it a career?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to Linux, above average in computer skills, and am looking to turn my enjoyment of Linux into a job. I want to learn the skills necessary to be a System Administrator, run Servers, write programs, etc. I have books on Linux: Linux for Dummies and Red Hat Fedora Bible. While the Bible book covers pretty much everything I am looking to learn, is it enough to get gainfully employed? Or even with all the skills learned is a Degree or Certifications necessary?

I have always taught myself. When I was young I would read Chiltons Repair Manuals cover to cover to learn about cars. And while that is my hobby, I hated it as a career. If I were to learn Linux inside out on my own would that be enough? That is my main question. And if not, how and what can I do to be more employable?

Thank you in advance for your answers and consideration! I'm in Virginia now but am open to moving, mentor programs, entry-level, etc, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to make it a career?

Simply search for 'system administrator entry level requirements'. Here is an example:
    http://www.tagged.com/about/jobs/req.html?id=oVepVfwd
    Obviously, Linux alone is not enough.

Beans
    Hidden!

Get a position in Technical Support.
    Hosting Companies especially.

I've done IS/IT/CIS for 17 years.
    When I started in 1994 there were 5 techs for every 50 jobs, now there's 50 techs for every 5 jobs.

Being a good techie can pay the rent while your searching for that dream Admin position.

A Great online resource is IBM.com - the Learn Linux, 101 series...

Certifications "may" be of help, but I've never had too much trouble without them. It can get you in the door.

Good Luck and keep at it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Habitual, this is very much the answer I was looking for. I like teaching myself, so having skills and not necessarily Certs or Degrees will get me in the door is good to hear. I've looked at the online courses offered by Ubuntu for $300/$600/$1,300. Has anyone utilized these? Does anyone know if writing programs for CNC Machines goes hand in hand with writing programs in Linux? In writing CNC programs you use Sub-programs which I assume would be like sub-routines, and using commands like if not, go to, and variables. So I would guess they are somewhat related in structure and order. Does anyone know if these programming languages would lend themselves to the other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mikewhatever, thanks for the link. I've Googled around and in this forum and the link you sent is a good baseline to build upon. Thank you