Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terminal Service Client SLOW over VPN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Terminal Service Client SLOW over VPN

But why would I need to do this? On XP this is not necessary and it is on the same network as this linux box and there is no problem what so ever.

Beans

Oh...well I guess Cisco VPN is different than Open VPN. I'm not really sure.

I just know from my experiance with VPN I had to forward ports. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Local connections are different that Internet connections.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh, yeah, Cisco is quite different. I am not using Cisco, I'm using the MS VPN. But thanks for the help.

If anyone else has any ideas, that would be great!

Thanks,

A

Beans

Hi,

Exact same question here ... I'm struggling with these for years ...

I believe the problem is with the RDP implemention on Linux.

I start the VPN and I have a very good response from the server that I want to connect to (15 ms) but any time I start the connection using or Remmina or
    remote Desktop Viewer the ICMP response increase to 450 to 500 ms and keep
    on these values during all the time that I have the RDP connection established.

The RDP Linux implementation "eat" the available bandwidth.

As focused, and I already make the same experience, if using a XP VM on same Linux machine that I have the prob, RDP is lightning fast so the problem isn't in the network itself nor the port fowarding config at router level as suggested.

Also I already use the same Linux machine using RDP directly on LAN (without VPN) where the Server that I want connect lives. Of course the connection is faster because I have 100 Mbps available but sluggish that a native XP to 2003 RDP connection.

Since I need a reliable RDP/VPN I still to continue to use and keep a Windows machine to do the job in a workable way...

All the Best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12