Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dell d610 wireless not working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

dell d610 wireless not working

before you go any further I would like to say, that on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 low 10 high)my skill level is a 1, That said here the problem. The wireless wont work on my dell latitude d610, So I have looked all over the place for help on this and am at my wits end. Here is what I am working with

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I tried to blacklist this and find a windows driver but to no luck, all of the links for them I have found are bad.

these are some links to which I have been trying to use for help.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi....php?p=2736853

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../18593279.aspx

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=133149

here are some of subject that I am confused about (?could of messed up?)
    1) blacklisting items
    2) ndiswrapper
    3) being the root
    4) some program also downloaded (auto)called firmware b4

well any help is good help at this point thanks for your time

Beans

Re: dell d610 wireless not working

The B43 driver should work for your card. The threads you are following are pretty old! Try this one.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so here is where I am STA - Internet access
    Step 1.

Install the STA hybrid drivers/firmware from the restricted repository using the Software Centre or the Synaptic Package Manager (Under the desktop menu System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) and search for the bcmwl-kernel-source package and install or in a terminal (under the desktop menu Applications > Accessories > Terminal) issue the following commands:

~$ sudo apt-get update
    ~$ sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Step 2.

Under the desktop menu System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers, the STA drivers can be activated for use.

Note: A computer restart may be required before using the wifi card.

LiveCD/LiveUSB
    For temporary use with the LiveCD and LiveUSB environments, simply use the Software Centre or the Synaptic Package Manager to search for and install the bcmwl-kernel-source package. Refer to Step 1 and Step 2 of the instructions above.

after this point when I try my wireless nothing. Could it because I blacklisted it? If so then how do I reverse that? thanks again for your time

Beans

Why aren't you looking at the B43 section of the thread? It says it is for the BCM4318

Installing b43 drivers
    8.04 (Hardy Heron), 9.10 (Karmic Koala), 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
    Supported models include:

BCM4301 BCM4306/2, BCM4306/3, BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4318, BCM4320

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok so I am this far...

Step 1.

Install the STA hybrid drivers/firmware from the restricted repository using the Software Centre or the Synaptic Package Manager (Under the desktop menu System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) and search for the bcmwl-kernel-source package and install or in a terminal (under the desktop menu Applications > Accessories > Terminal) issue the following commands:

~$ sudo apt-get update
    ~$ sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Step 2.

Under the desktop menu System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers, the STA drivers can be activated for use.

Note: A computer restart may be required before using the wifi card.

every thing looks good and under System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers, it says that the driver is activated and in use.
    But I still dont get any wireless.do I have to enable my wireless now and if so could someone send me a link or walk me though it thanks
    thanks again for your time
    Last edited by josephmills; February 6th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Beans

As posted above,why are you trying to use the STA driver?? I have a Dell d610 and it works fine with the b43 driver.......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so what do I do then should I uninstall things then or where do I go from here
    Last edited by josephmills; February 6th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Beans

Just took a quick look at the links you have followed unless you know what files you have altered or blacklisted and what other files you have changed I dont know if you will get this straightened out without a great deal of difficulty.I personally would just re-install the OS again and follow the guide for the b43 install as in post#2.Assuming you have a hardwire connection,after the install check under system > admin > additional drivers and the driver should be there to activate.IF not, do whatever updates are available and then check again for the driver.Sorry I cant be more helpfull than re-install......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so I re-installed ubuntu and started working on the driver I typed in

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

and got this

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    b43-fwcutter is already the newest version.
    b43-fwcutter set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 260 not upgraded.

the part of the "text" I dont understand is the line ,b43-fwcutter set to manually installed.

how do I manually install it? or do I ?

thanks again
    Last edited by josephmills; February 7th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.

Beans

Are you cabled in and did you check under System > Administration > Additional Drivers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast