Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No JACK USB audio output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No JACK USB audio output

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo_F View Post
    Now it seems that jack is not to blame, that the problem is in a lower level (in the hardware or the alsa driver).

Try with 44100 frame rate (adding the -r44100 option):

speaker-test -Dfront:default -r44100 -c2 -twav
    This gave me an error, as the playback frame rate didn't match the frame rate of the test .wav, see below.

It would make sense that I may not have been able to hear the 48khz audio through the ART, as its max frame rate is 44.1khz. Any thoughts how to fix this?

JACK is definitely set at 44.1 btw...

adam@adam-HP-Mini:~$ speaker-test -Dfront:default -r44100 -c2 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.23

Playback device is front:default
    Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
    WAV file(s)
    Rate set to 44100Hz (requested 44100Hz)
    Buffer size range from 90 to 262144
    Period size range from 45 to 131072
    Using max buffer size 262144
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 65536
    was set buffer_size = 262144
    Sample rate doesn't match (48000) for /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav

Sorry for this again, buy I suppose you have the MIX knob set to computer.

I suggest you try with the monitor outs to an external amplifier, with speaker-test and jack-aqualung.
    Yes, MIX is set 100% to computer.

Will try via external amp later tonight and report back...

To test the laptop speakers, just to hear what you should be hearing through the ART USB Dual Pre, modify the command:

speaker-test -Dfront:Intel -c2 -twav
    This worked perfectly.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

adh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This gave me an error, as the playback frame rate didn't match the frame rate of the test .wav
    My bad, sorry.

It would make sense that I may not have been able to hear the 48khz audio through the ART, as its max frame rate is 44.1khz. Any thoughts how to fix this?
    Probably, but as you point out, you are telling jackd to use 44.100 Hz. Anyway, this should give pink noise at 44100 Hz on your USB card:

speaker-test -Dfront:default -r44100 -c2

Again, use "Intel" instead of "default" to test the laptop speakers.

Cheers, Pablo
    Last edited by Pablo_F; February 10th, 2011 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

Why not? hw:1 or hw:default is the USB card and the device hw:1,0 has both capture and playback ports.

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 1: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 1: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

This card is not just a preamp, it is a class compliant usb soundcard 16bit/44,1kHz with input and output connections. The OP does not need to choose the input and output devices separately as they want to use the USB card in duplex mode (for capture and playback).

OTOH, jack gives no errors. To narrow down the sources of the problem, I suggested the speaker-test.

Cheers, Pablo
    Hi, I've seen nothing in several ads to indicate this device is a soundcard.
    As an input device, I would connect its pre-amped signal to the soundcard or motherboard soundchip, which would be selected as the output device. Then connect the output of that motherboard soundchip, or soundcard, to timemachine, ardour, audacity etc for recording.

typical ad info:

"The ART USB Dual Pre is ideal for laptop-based audio production. It's powered by an internal 9-volt battery, your computer's USB bus, or an optional 12-volt DC adapter. The rugged aluminum chassis with rubber sides handles road abuse.

The ART USB Dual Pre has two low-noise input channels with XLR balanced and 1/4" TRS inputs, each with up to 48dB of clean gain and clip LED indicators. With it's low noise 48-volt phantom power supply you can power up to two mics as well as the preamp when running off any of the power sources. The 1/4" outputs are buffered and low impedance balanced for use as either preamplifier outputs or feeds for powered monitors. A rear 1/8" TRS mini headphone jack with level and monitor controls provides latency-free monitoring of inputs during recording or the USB bus during playback. Fully compliant with the USB 1.1 specification, this compact device uses USB adaptive mode for playback and USB asynchronous mode for recording."

Monitoring a signal, vs. rendering input signals which would be sent to line/headphone outputs, or down the usb bus, are not equal tasks.
    Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Anyway, this should give pink noise at 44100 Hz on your USB card:

speaker-test -Dfront:default -r44100 -c2

Again, use "Intel" instead of "default" to test the laptop speakers.
    Tested it through the laptop, and got pink noise. Tested it though 'default', and nothing from the USB. Tried both the speaker test and Aqualung through external amp also, and nothing.

Seems this is looking increasingly like a hardware issue?

adh

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgx View Post
    Hi, I've seen nothing in several ads to indicate this device is a soundcard.
    As an input device, I would connect its pre-amped signal to the soundcard or motherboard soundchip, which would be selected as the output device. Then connect the output of that motherboard soundchip, or soundcard, to timemachine, ardour, audacity etc for recording.
    So, you're suggesting I need to send the audio monitor outs of the preamp to the audio in of my existing soundcard? Sort of defeats the whole purpose of this being a USB interface, no?

adh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Seems this is looking increasingly like a hardware issue?
    Yes. See if you can test it in another laptop with Windows but try with the main outputs anyway.

Cheers, Pablo

Beans
    Distro

Yes. See if you can test it in another laptop with Windows but try with the main outputs anyway.
    I'm tempted to just return it and try another of the same unit. Kinda baffling that it essentially worked out of the box and then suddenly quit on the first day of use...

Hi I also have a problem trying to connect my TRS wired speakers to my computers and i don't know how to create a new thread so can sum1 help me?? btw it is a dell speaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12