Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox4 beta not finding plugins!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Firefox4 beta not finding plugins!

all 6 are in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    1 of them is a symlink (libjavaplugin.so) to /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so

And yes, I have Maverick 64b with a 64b Minefield from nightly.mozilla.org
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

Re: Firefox4 beta not finding plugins!

Well, finally I've found the cause. While my system is 64-bit, the official binary supplied by Mozilla is a 32-bit build. While extensions are in source form, and therefore loaded, the plugins of course are 64-bit binaries, and they don't load. Starting the beta from the command-line (instead of through an icon) produced these revealing error messages:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]

... and so on.

It seems Mozilla will not provide *official* 64-bit release builds of Firefox until version 4 is released. So onto ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/ni...zilla-central/ for the nightly builds!

Thanks all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12