Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limitation of size of USB-installation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Limitation of size of USB-installation

Thanks for all good advice here. You have really looked into this matter. The only thing I have noticed was a big difference between USB-flash and USB-HDD for copying. What I counted in hours for the flash I counted in minutes for the HDD.

(When using a USB-installation I guess the amount of RAM is significant? The more you can cache the quicker you can work.)

EDIT: I had better add it was mostly for copy/WRITE of large amounts of data.
    Last edited by yc2; February 8th, 2011 at 03:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Limitation of size of USB-installation

Quote Originally Posted by yc2;10438117
    (When using a USB-installation I guess the [U
    amount[/U] of RAM is significant? The more you can cache the quicker you can work.)
    Yes, to a point. Nothing can help when moving very large amounts of data of course. Typically for flash RAM, the write speeds are much slower than read speeds. You can use Disk Utility to benchmark the read/write speeds to see exactly what's going on. It's also interesting to see that some of the older USB sticks, and those using older technology are particularly slow at writes. I got a branded 8MB SD card for my 900SD very cheap a few weeks ago and found the write speeds are pretty slow.

Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123