Thread: Working out of the box?

Beans

Working out of the box?

I'm not sure this is the correct section to seek help, but here goes. I'm purchasing a new desktop this week and was wondering if everything will work out of the box with Ubuntu and/or Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit. This is what I'm getting:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
    CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (3.2GHZ)
    HDD: SAMSUNG 1TB SATA II 32MB F3
    DVD drive: LG DVD±R 22X H22N PRETO BULK (SATA)
    Card reader: REVOLTEC MULTICARD READER
    Wireless: SMC EZ CONNECT G WIRELESS PCI 54MB 2.4GHZ

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Working out of the box?

Trade ya. Just kidding. Nice system though. Can't wait to get me one of those. I can't answer your question with 100% certainty, so you might want to wait for some real expert's opinion, but I've installed many different releases of Ubuntu on lots of different hardware, and I've found that almost everything always works right out of the box. And whenever there is a problem, the good people that contribute to this forum always work it out.

Also, you can just try the live-cd first and see if everything works. I'd be willing to bet that if your hardware works with the live-cd, then it will work with the whole shebang.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Working out of the box?

Oh ya. And if your system comes with Windows installed, then use the Disk Management tool to create an empty partition. Then you can install Ubuntu alongside your Windows partition, and choose which operating system to boot when you start up your system.