Thread: best scanner software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

best scanner software?

Greetings

I use the "Simple Scan" tool with my Canon Pixma MP250 to scan images (I have Scangear MP250 installed). Its a nice and easy tool. But I was hoping to find a better tool that provides ability to add watermarks, and also the ability to export / save-as small file size optimized for the web.

Any recommendations?

Currently, I have to go, each time I finish scanning, to Picasa to edit the scanned images. Picasa has a nice "I'm feeling lucky" option which gives excellent brightness and contrast levels to scanned images (Simple Scan always gives pale results). Picasa can also export a set of images to a folder, with my choice of dimensions. I can also add watermarks, but it wouldn't allow you to specify the location of the watermark nor its font size..

Beans
    Distro

Re: best scanner software?

hello?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sallam View Post
    Greetings
    Currently, I have to go, each time I finish scanning, to Picasa to edit the scanned images. Picasa has a nice "I'm feeling lucky" option which gives excellent brightness and contrast levels to scanned images (Simple Scan always gives pale results). Picasa can also export a set of images to a folder, with my choice of dimensions. I can also add watermarks, but it wouldn't allow you to specify the location of the watermark nor its font size..
    You have several choices. The free one is:

XSane image scanning program. You can install it with the Ubuntu Software Center. To get the full set of Functionality you want, you may need to use it with Gimp to do your water marks. You can install Gimp with the Ubuntu Software Center, too.

Your 'for pay' choice is VueScan 9:

http://www.hamrick.com./vsm.html

Hope this helps...

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, but your suggestion is a hundred times more difficult that the solution I'm currently using. I was looking for something to save me a few extra seconds, not one that takes hours of my time.

Beans

I use Gscan2pdf found in the Ubuntu software center.

A basic Youtube video demo is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjogfWfWsQ

Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr