Thread: Security updates and PHP version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Security updates and PHP version

Hi guys. I'm 90% sure of the answer I'll receive for this question, but I'm asking it because I need to be 100% sure.

I have automatic security updates "turned on" on my Ubuntu Server. PHP 5.3.2 is installed and running with a custom C++ module compiled locally. I want to make sure that by making security updates, Ubuntu will never upgrade PHP to another version, let's say 5.3.5, That would probably force me to recompile my module. Because this is a production server, I would have to do it on the week-end and I don't feel like it. Hahaha!

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Re: Security updates and PHP version

Quote Originally Posted by Saorex View Post
    Hi guys. I'm 90% sure of the answer I'll receive for this question, but I'm asking it because I need to be 100% sure.

I have automatic security updates "turned on" on my Ubuntu Server. PHP 5.3.2 is installed and running with a custom C++ module compiled locally. I want to make sure that by making security updates, Ubuntu will never upgrade PHP to another version, let's say 5.3.5, That would probably force me to recompile my module. Because this is a production server, I would have to do it on the week-end and I don't feel like it. Hahaha!

Thanks for your help!
    The version number reported by php should always stay at 5.3.2 as long as you don't upgrade the system from say 10.04 -> 10.10. When security updates are released for php, the ubuntu team will apply a patch. So the flaws will be fixed, your version just becomes patched.

That's why if you look at the php version it will say something like PHP 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.7
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have a look at pinning:

Code:
    sudo vi /etc/apt/preferences
    Code:
    # Use this specific version of the hello package
    Package: hello
    Pin: version 2.2-2
    Pin-Priority: 1001
    http://blog.opperschaap.net/2009/12/...distributions/

But, tbh, I would never auto-update a PRD machine, you want to know when something changed and have the change approved/tested before putting it live.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the explanation Thirtysixway.

I get your point slakkie. I will have to think about this again. We're refactoring the server park right now and we might have a real test environment for the first time.