Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Been having a problem getting audio/mic to work on my rig with mint10 on a USB flash drive, went that route so my internal HDD/XP install weren't/aren't harmed(specifically my MBR) . It's my understanding that this script works on mint so I gave it a try.

1. The install process went well from the looks of it, no errors or anything.

2. The result of "cat /proc/asound/version" is...

Code:
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Compiled on Nov 24 2010 for kernel 2.6.35-22-generic-pae (SMP).
    ...which was the first sign that something wasn't right. Pretty sure that needs to be .24?

3. The result of "aplay" is nothing, nothing happens at all. It did this before the script as well.

4. None of the sound test commands work, I keep getting told that no $ command is found.

5. No different results so far in regards to my sound/mic issue.

To clarify the problem and desired result...I'm trying to get the sound and mic jacks on the front panel of my case to be recognized by linux. At this time neither seem to function at all. As for the rear jacks, center/green works but mic doesn't. I'm running an Asus Crossfire IV Formula board and using the integrated Xtreme-Fi sound, codec VT2020, which is supposed to be supported by Alsa. Yes, all jacks on front and rear work on my XP install, and the peripheral being used isa Razr headset. I use TS3 to test sound and mic, btw, as I have nothing else installed at this time and no media to play...I'm just running this install on an 8gb USB flash drive to try to get back in to linux and maybe actually make the full switch this time...but it's stupid problems like no sound that send me running right back to windows.

Beans

hey there guys... well what can i say, i'm new at Linux running it for a few days (Ubuntu 10.10 x64)
    when i was trying to update alsa to 1.0.24 though this script i continuously get this at compilation process:
    .....Decompress Driver source v1.0.24-
    Compile Driver........
    cd: 18: can't cd to alsa-driver-1.0.24
    configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-cards
    checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./version: 1: 1.0.24.1: not found

my kernel is .28 <_<

any suggestions? ^^
    thanks in advance
    and sorry for my "good" english

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
    hey there guys... well what can i say, i'm new at Linux running it for a few days (Ubuntu 10.10 x64)
    when i was trying to update alsa to 1.0.24 though this script i continuously get this at compilation process:
    .....Decompress Driver source v1.0.24-
    Compile Driver........
    cd: 18: can't cd to alsa-driver-1.0.24
    configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-cards
    checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./version: 1: 1.0.24.1: not found

my kernel is .28 <_<

any suggestions? ^^
    thanks in advance
    and sorry for my "good" english
    It sounds like downloading failed. Try that again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydotexe View Post
    Been having a problem getting audio/mic to work on my rig with mint10 on a USB flash drive, went that route so my internal HDD/XP install weren't/aren't harmed(specifically my MBR) . It's my understanding that this script works on mint so I gave it a try.

1. The install process went well from the looks of it, no errors or anything.

2. The result of "cat /proc/asound/version" is...

Code:
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Compiled on Nov 24 2010 for kernel 2.6.35-22-generic-pae (SMP).
    ...which was the first sign that something wasn't right. Pretty sure that needs to be .24?

3. The result of "aplay" is nothing, nothing happens at all. It did this before the script as well.

4. None of the sound test commands work, I keep getting told that no $ command is found.

5. No different results so far in regards to my sound/mic issue.

To clarify the problem and desired result...I'm trying to get the sound and mic jacks on the front panel of my case to be recognized by linux. At this time neither seem to function at all. As for the rear jacks, center/green works but mic doesn't. I'm running an Asus Crossfire IV Formula board and using the integrated Xtreme-Fi sound, codec VT2020, which is supposed to be supported by Alsa. Yes, all jacks on front and rear work on my XP install, and the peripheral being used isa Razr headset. I use TS3 to test sound and mic, btw, as I have nothing else installed at this time and no media to play...I'm just running this install on an 8gb USB flash drive to try to get back in to linux and maybe actually make the full switch this time...but it's stupid problems like no sound that send me running right back to windows.
    Any ideas? I also have a thread going over on the Mint 10 forum and no one has offered a solution yet. ALSA supports my hardware, so this issue is probably just some simple/stupid setting somewhere or a missing file or something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    It sounds like downloading failed. Try that again.

no, i'm sure its not failed. besides, i tried like 6 times and always get this damn error <_>

well probably my fault (nah, i'm sure its my fault lol). as a newbie i'm doing terrible things around there with my system, so its might be a side effect...
    anyway, i just made a pure reinstall or system, updating kernel atm.. will let ya know when i'll try updating alsa again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

@johnnydotexe
    What about
    Code:
    aplay -l
    Anyway, try this:
    Code:
    echo "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-digout " | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Reboot

Beans

Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT2020 Analog [VT2020 Analog]
      Subdevices: 2/2
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT2020 Digital [VT2020 Digital]
      Subdevices: 2/2
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    If that second command inputs the line "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-digout" at the end of the alsa-base.conf file...I've already done that several days ago, after having it set to "auto" as well. No matter what I try, I can only get audio from the rear green/center port(didn't try the other channel ports). Nothing from the front audio port, and both the front and rear mic ports don't work.
    Last edited by johnnydotexe; March 24th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Beans

yeaah sorry 'twas all my fault...
    everything was installed without a single problem, the only one persone to blame is me lol
    sorry for my previous posts ^^

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    I'd like to thank Temüjin for taking this project on.
    You're a much better BASH scripter than I am and you wrote the guts of the script. Thanks for that. I can't speak for everyone, but I understand you using your talents elsewhere on your own interests/projects.

Beans

Worked for me, and it fixed VLC errors Easy to use and quick way to update alsa, thanks.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast