Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Hybrid View

Beans

ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

WARNING: The ALSA script was useful back in the day, but it is now more dangerous than helpful for a majority of users, and there are usually better methods of upgrading. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

DISCLAIMER: Don't use this script unless you know what it's really doing (building vanilla ALSA from source and installing it over the older, Ubuntu-patched version on your system). Do not PM me for support as your request will go to the great bit bucket in the sky. Please do not post irrelevant support requests in this thread because the old thread had about 99% support requests and 1% people actually helping/contributing (start your own thread in Hardware or Multimedia forum). Finally, do not blame me for any problems this causes (it would be far better to find a properly packaged ALSA than using this hack). I (and hopefully others) will do our best to help you, but ultimately, if it breaks, you keep the pieces.
    Ok, here's the new ALSA upgrade script for ALSA 1.0.25. The script is not in line with Debian/Ubuntu rules for package handling. It just overwrites existing files. You won't see any changes on the ALSA package-ids within Synaptic!

The script recognizes severe problems during the installation and will stop automatically. It shouldn't mess up your setup.
    If the script stops with an error-message nothing should have been touched!
    In the worst case scenario the -r restore option restores your old system status as good as possible. It'll reinstall kernel, kernel-headers and Alsa related packages.

Ubuntu upgrades/updates might overwrite your Alsa installation once in a while (e.g. Major upgrades, kernel-upgrades or ALSA-package upgrades).
    You just need to rerun the upgrade-script using the -i option in this case (if you still have the compiled sources on the disk).

Short Alsa-Upgrade script install instructions:

0. before you begin, close all package managers (Synaptic, Muon, Software Center, etc.)
    1. download the script and save it somewhere
    2. cd <your-download-dir>
    3. tar xzvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.tar.gz
    4. chmod +x AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh
    5. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -d
    6. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -c
    7. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -i
    8. sudo shutdown -r 0

Logging: I recommend to log all the upgrade steps, e.g.

script -a -c "./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -d" /tmp/Alsa_1.0.25-1_upgrade_download.log

You'll find a log file /tmp/Alsa_1.0.25-3_upgrade_download.log as soon as the script is finished.
    You need to run this procedure for every single step. Choose whatever logfile names.

Test and Troubleshooting

After reboot you can type:

cat /proc/asound/version

This will let you know if you're running the new version.

The easiest and most reliable test to verify if Alsa is working is "aplay" - the Alsa player application. If aplay won't work -- nothing else will work. Make sure that all your channels are unmuted and volume is up!

To get ALSA apps mixed in through pulseaudio, you need to add the bolded line to /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
    Code:
    @hooks [
            {
                    func load
                    files [
                            "/usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf"
                            "/etc/asound.conf"
                            "~/.asoundrc"
                    ]
                    errors false
            }
    ]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 23rd, 2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added script out-of-date warning

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Update script sounds really great. The only bad thing to me is that both the old one and the new one are failing on the compilation step for Lucid (in which XBMCLive is built on).

Thanks for assuming the maintenance of the script!

Regards,

DiabboVerdde

Beans

Can you post error output? I tested it on a Maverick Virtualbox install and had no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With Natty it only gives me a "Dummy Output" within Sound Prefs, also with pavucontrol... I also killed PA if something was wrong with that.

The script runs just fine.'

EDIT
    plun@plun-laptop:~$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found
    Something must be wrong with the isntalll
    Last edited by plun; February 5th, 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Beans

Sigh.. I hope natty adopts alsa 1.0.24 and makes this script unnecessary. I have a spare install of natty. I will test it there when I have more caffeine and less alcohol flowing through me. Thanks for the heads up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hehe...

Well, I ran the script again with no luck

The alsa-info script gives this:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/562974/

dmesg gives unknown symbols.....

Code:
    plun@plun-laptop:~/Desktop$ lspci -v | grep -i audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
    02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

EDIT

Restarted with Ubuntus 2.6.38 kernel and it works....

alsa-info:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/562977/

EDIT AGAIN

No the driver version seems to be 1.0.23 with this.....

Reinstalled 2.6.38-RC3 (Ubuntu Mainline) but it gave the same output as earlier.... all Ubuntu kernels works but with the 1.0.23 driver loaded.

--
    Last edited by plun; February 5th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Beans

Thankyou for you guys very very much.I has this problem very long times ago but can't resolve it.

Tag: Asus, A42F, headphone, audio, problem, alsa, no sound

Beans

Unhappy Re: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

No Audio over HDMI
    I have two Acer 3700 NetTop’s, one I have had for 6 months and is working fine but I have just purchased a new 3700 and installed the same software and updates (Ubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia 260.19.29 video drivers and installer Alsa 1.0.24.2). However I can’t get the audio to work over HDMI on the new 3700.
    When I run alsamixer on the new 3700, it displays the mixer controls but there is no PCM volume control however there is on the old unit so I figure this is where the problem is but I have not been able to work out how to fix it.
    The following links are the ALSA Information Script results for each 3700:
    Not working Acer 3700 http://pastebin.com/2eqQdES2
    Working Acer 3700 http://pastebin.com/VAyPQhcA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by GTS300 View Post
    No Audio over HDMI
    I have two Acer 3700 NetTop’s, one I have had for 6 months and is working fine but I have just purchased a new 3700 and installed the same software and updates (Ubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia 260.19.29 video drivers and installer Alsa 1.0.24.2). However I can’t get the audio to work over HDMI on the new 3700.
    When I run alsamixer on the new 3700, it displays the mixer controls but there is no PCM volume control however there is on the old unit so I figure this is where the problem is but I have not been able to work out how to fix it.
    The following links are the ALSA Information Script results for each 3700:
    Not working Acer 3700 http://pastebin.com/2eqQdES2
    Working Acer 3700 http://pastebin.com/VAyPQhcA
    You're missing this from alsa-base.conf:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2
    Edit thusly:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Save. Close. Reboot.

Beans

M8...I am gonna build a statue of you in my front garden...flashing neon...the full damn works.
    Neon seems tacky. I would prefer something classic like marble. Get quarrying now!

PS. How come Natty does not ships ALSA .24 yet?? :-/
    EDIT: Amarok playback does not work. Guess it's related to gstreamer or something... sheesh
    Natty does use 1.0.24. What phonon backend are you using? (look in systemsettings)
    FWIW, I struggle with Phonon at times too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast