Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    @doomedforever: I've already made a few small edits and have the script ready. I need to test it on my Ubuntu VM's, and the ALSA ftp is still down (will try alternative link). Keep in mind that the ALSA kernel driver is still at 1.0.25 and only the userspace utils/libs have been updated to 1.0.26
    thanks much for sorting this out, Temüjin. Would you please update it then when ALSA
    Kernel 1.0.16 is avialable?

kind regards
    ~df~

Beans

Hello guys,
    I'm trying the last 7 hours to find a solution with my 5.1 setup on my system but I've done some progress but still I have a dead rear-left speaker and the mic isn't working.
    Before upgrading to 2.6.38-16 kernel I couldn't see any 5.1 setting in the sound preferences. I've tried ALL the posted solutions here and in other sites by still I didn't fix the problem due to the failure of the script (1.0.24) to download the last files and then to start the -c & -i phase and running still alsa 1.0.23

I've looked into the entire thread but there is no updated script without any dead links like here

=> `alsa-tools-1.0.24.1.tar.bz2'
    Looking for ftp.alsa-project.org... 77.48.224.243
    Connecting to ftp.alsa-project.org|77.48.224.243|:21... failed: Connection refused.
    The results of the alsa-info.sh are below

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=16...185e65267bb250
    Please help, I've reached to a dead end...

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Hi there! Have a couple of questions:

1) Which kind of model should i point out in alsa_setup.sh for my device?
    2) In my system there are two sound controllers
    (first is Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] for Realtek audio device form link above
    and integrated to videocard
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series] [1002:aa68]
    ).
    How it comes that after applying script alsa_setup.sh second controller became invisible? Does script tested well for multi audiocontrollers environment?

Beans

x-fi hd on kubuntu natty here
    alsa 1.0.24 works fine for the sound output
    no mic though....installing 1.0.25 and hoping that will solve it..

Beans

x-fi hd kubuntu natty, alsa1.0.24 works for me, no mic though, dewd, i really hate this forum's interface!!!!!!!

Beans

Ok, here's the new ALSA upgrade script for ALSA 1.0.25. The script is not in line with Debian/Ubuntu rules for package handling. It just overwrites existing files. You won't see any changes on the ALSA package-ids within Synaptic!

The script recognizes severe problems during the installation and will stop automatically. It shouldn't mess up your setup.
    If the script stops with an error-message nothing should have been touched!
    In the worst case scenario the -r restore option restores your old system status as good as possible. It'll reinstall kernel, kernel-headers and Alsa related packages.

Ubuntu upgrades/updates might overwrite your Alsa installation once in a while (e.g. Major upgrades, kernel-upgrades or ALSA-package upgrades).
    You just need to rerun the upgrade-script using the -i option in this case (if you still have the compiled sources on the disk).

Short Alsa-Upgrade script install instructions:

0. before you begin, close all package managers (Synaptic, Muon, Software Center, etc.)
    1. download the script and save it somewhere
    2. cd <your-download-dir>
    3. tar xzvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.tar.gz
    4. chmod +x AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh
    5. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -d
    6. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -c
    7. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -i
    8. sudo shutdown -r 0

Logging: I recommend to log all the upgrade steps, e.g.

script -a -c "./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.25-3.sh -d" /tmp/Alsa_1.0.25-1_upgrade_download.log

You'll find a log file /tmp/Alsa_1.0.25-3_upgrade_download.log as soon as the script is finished.
    You need to run this procedure for every single step. Choose whatever logfile names.

Test and Troubleshooting

After reboot you can type:

cat /proc/asound/version

This will let you know if you're running the new version.

The easiest and most reliable test to verify if Alsa is working is "aplay" - the Alsa player application. If aplay won't work -- nothing else will work. Make sure that all your channels are unmuted and volume is up!

To get ALSA apps mixed in through pulseaudio, you need to add the bolded line to /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
    Code:
    @hooks [
            {
                    func load
                    files [
                            "/usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf"
                            "/etc/asound.conf"
                            "~/.asoundrc"
                    ]
                    errors false
            }
    ]
    Hi, I have a "Dummy Output" problem in Ubuntu 12.10, upgraded from 10.04, running from Acer Travelmate 6292. I've managed to get to Step No. 5, then Step No. 6 gave me an error "alsa-driver-1.0.25 not found". I've attached the log instalation for Step No.5... Please please help me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi, I have a "Dummy Output" problem in Ubuntu 12.10, upgraded from 10.04, running from Acer Travelmate 6292.
    Please attach your ALSA info https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo
    Running the script is probably not the solution to your problem.

Beans

Smile Re: ALSA Upgrade Script Redux

Please attach your ALSA info https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo
    Running the script is probably not the solution to your problem.
    Thanks a lot. I've solved my "Dummy Output"! I just need to compile the ALSA Driver from its source each time Update Manager has done its kernel upgrading!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by binloan View Post
    Anyone has an update on the alsa servers?

They seem to be down.

Edit: Changed sources. Works fine for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbsv955x24...de-1.0.25-3.sh

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

And thank you Temüjin for assuming the maintenance of the script (I love watching it do it's magic)... It would be very helpful to others, if someone could update the initial post with the updated script (I'd do it, but I don't have sudo powers, yet... Maybe I'll be granted such powers after a few more libations... ).

Thanks for sharing all your hard work everyone.

Kirby
    We need to identify the sociopaths and psychotics in our society & remove them from their positions of power & influence over Humanity's evolution! Then we need to prevent these sick people from ever again having such lopsided powers over us. Me

Beans

Having this "only HDMI output" problem with Ubuntu 12.10, I tried the script, but it seems to fail on the compilation part.

In file included from /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/speakers.c:5:0:
    /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/../alsa-kernel/firewire/speakers.c: In function ‘fwspk_card_free’:
    /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/../alsa-kernel/firewire/speakers.c:664:2: erreur: implicit declaration of function ‘fw_device_put’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/../alsa-kernel/firewire/speakers.c: In function ‘fwspk_probe’:
    /opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/../alsa-kernel/firewire/speakers.c:721:2: erreur: implicit declaration of function ‘fw_device_get’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[3]: *** [/opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire/speakers.o] Erreur 1
    make[2]: *** [/opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25/firewire] Erreur 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/opt/Alsa-1.0.25/alsa-driver-1.0.25] Erreur 2
    make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-21-generic »
    make: *** [compile] Erreur 2

************************************************** *************************
    * alsa-driver-1.0.25 make failed
    ************************************************** *************************
    I used the script posted by binloan, download part was OK...

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast