Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnose a dead motherboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Diagnose a dead motherboard

I have a laptop that does not turn on. When I plug in the power cable only the battery light comes on. I push the power button but the computer never turns on... I want to find out what the problem is. How do I test to see if the Motherboard is defective, or if it's the CPU that is defective? The ram I've tested by putting it in another computer. I just need to know how to test the motherboard and the CPU to see which one is defective, how do I do that? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Microsoft is a company. Linux is a community.
    - In Tux We Trust

Beans

Re: Diagnose a dead motherboard

Theoretically, you would try the CPU in another system with the same socket and/or use a different CPU for the mobo in question. Of course, that's not always feasible, so you may have to take it to a repair shop.

Keep in mind that it could be the battery or power supply circuitry (which I guess is part of the mobo).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pull the battery. Try to boot on wall power alone.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I tried to boot without the battery it does not help. I let the battery charge and booted from the battery alone, it does not help. The computer wont turn on. I tried booting without the ram, does not help. The power cable is not an original, but there is still power going through the computer.

So the only way to test the CPU is to replace it, or try it on another system? If the CPU fails then that's the problem. If it passes than is must be the motherboard? Can it be a bad HDD drive that's preventing the machine from powering up?

What's the "power supply circuitry"? Does that mean I'd have to replace the motherboard, or only a part of it?
    Last edited by nl4m; March 10th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
    - In Tux We Trust

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It could be the power brick. Try another one.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nl4m View Post
    Can it be a bad HDD drive that's preventing the machine from powering up?
    No, a HD isn't required to boot a machine; you'd leave that unplugged while testing.

Probability of failure is usually PSU > Motherboard > CPU. I've never actually seen a stock-clocked CPU fail, but it does happen.

Beans
    Distro

It's a laptop. Isn't the power supply build into the computer? If the power supply went bed the motherboard would need to be replaced, on a laptop, right?

If it's the CPU that's the problem, wont at least the power light turn on? The whole laptop is dead, excluding the battery light.
    - In Tux We Trust

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's a laptop. Isn't the power supply build into the computer? If the power supply went bed the motherboard would need to be replaced, on a laptop, right?
    They are usually external on laptops.

If it's the CPU that's the problem, wont at least the power light turn on? The whole laptop is dead, excluding the battery light.
    I would personally expect more than just a battery light if it was the CPU, so I'd lean towards motherboard or PSU. Unless you have some kit to test the PSU output, or a spare motherboard/cpu, you're a bit stuck.

Beans
    Distro

By PSU you mean the AC/Power cable? There's a normal 19v flowing through it.
    I've read on the net that some motherboards beep when the CPU is bad, other motherboards don't... This varies by model?
    - In Tux We Trust

Beans

Yep, that varies by model and the error as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    They are usually external on laptops.
    Yeah, true. But there is still a power conversion going on (12v to 5v/3.3v or, similar).I agree, power supply, (or conversion) is probably not the problem though.

@ nl4m- try holding down the power button for a while, a long while. Up to 60 secodns. Sometimes that forces the CMOS to clear, and has given new life to laptops in the same situation as yours.

The CMOS should clear with 10-20 seconds, but holding it down longer wont hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast