Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission kills my network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Transmission kills my network

Quote Originally Posted by darthspringbok View Post
    When I run lubuntu normally it is ok. When I run transmission and download torrents my wireless connection dies and cannot reconnect. Also it seems to kill the network so that other PCs in the house cannot access the internet.

Tested by downloading ubuntu iso in chromium and the connection stay up. I have throttled transmission so that it does not hog all the bandwidth but it just kills the network completely.

I have to reboot the router to get internet in the house again.
    darthspringbok,

Please give deluge a try and let us know if that gets you working. I am afraid we have hi-jacked your thread with all this.

Still - look at everything we are learning in the process
    Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    darthspringbok,

Please give deluge a try and let us know if that gets you working. I am afraid we have hi-jacked your thread with all this.

Still - look at everything we are learning in the process
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    Strangely this is on a lubuntu install yet so far on a Ubuntu install on another PC also on wireless with transmission it seems ok, though I have not done enough testing.

If i install deluge is it possible to move half downloaded torrents from transmission?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it can take the bandwidth if allow too many connection to your file that you are sharring. they see it and everyone wants to ride on it (automaticly) because you give them permission to do it. same thing happen with every torrent porgramme if you allow it to automate the setting when you star doing it.

note that kilobits and megabits are not the same as kilobytes and megabytes. so take that into account when you set up torrent programmes. i have it set for small upload and small number of leeches. the download is not as fast as the connection allows it. i have 20mbit connection yet torrents donwload like i had 1mbit no issue whatsoever, can surf normally and all.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also keep in mind that such problems can be caused by other things than just the actual download transfer speed. Too many simultaneous connections, or upload speed, can easily result in network problems, especially if your wireless router isn't up to the task.

That would also easily explain why some torrent programs work and others don't, being different programs they have different default limits for this kind of things. Check your settings, limit the upload speed to a bit less than your Internet connections uplink speed would be, and set a fairly low limit for the amount of simultaneous connections. You can then increase both gradually until you reach the point where you start getting problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can say that its not problem with number of peer connect, upload or download speed.
    I can use deluge with no problem, even I have a long list of seeding file and have a high number of allowed connection. But when I use Transmission, even if I have only one file downloading, it just kill the net completely, other machine have no problem, and even transmission have no problem, just my net.
    Dell Inspiron 1464
    Intel Core-i3 @ 2.13Ghz | 4G 1066Mhz DDR3
    GMA HD | Intel SSD 80Gb |
    Running Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Has this problem been solved? I am having the same problem on 11.10

I open transmission and even if there is no download/upload going on it kills my internet (Except for Transmission, it works just fine) and no webiste works anymore.

Have you guys found a solution for this?

Regards
    Alethenorio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

So is there any solution to it? I too am facing the same with Ubuntu 11.10
    My blogs...

Computer Tips and Tricks: http://www.computerandyou.net/
    Open Source Blog: http://itsfoss.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I find Deluge works much better, it is in Synaptic or the Lubuntu Software Center.

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the tip, Deluge is indeed very nice but that still doesn't fix the fact that transmission is broken.

Someone should note the developer in case it hasn't been done yet.

Beans

Same problem here on lubuntu 11.10. On deluge i have no problem with 200 connections limit but with transmission in 50 connections limited crash my network when full speed force me to restart.
    Using deluge until solve problem with transmission.
    I prefer transmission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12