Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major problems with all music players

Beans

Major problems with all music players

I'm trying to find a music player that I can just use without major problems after not liking or rage-quitting all the most used music players:

- Rythmbox: Doesn't seem to have any easy way to explore your music collection while playing music. Also a bit limited for my taste.

- Banshee: Tried to reorganize my music collection (because I choose the option). But then it was unable to find the reorganized music, leaving me with half albums and stuff like that. Also frequent crashes (but I could live with that).

- Amarok2: My choice until recently. It could find all the music that Banshee had left in different directories with no problem. But it has an annoying "Show under various artists" near the "Show cover" button that I end up frequently pressing, yes, my fault. But it seems like when I try to press the button "Do not show under Various Artists" the album just disappears from my collection and I have to delete, and create again the directory so it shows again.

Any other music players I could try or just deal with Amarok2 problems for now and wait for the next version?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Major problems with all music players

To name a few: guayadeque, exaile, audacious, deadbeef, clementine (amarok1 ported to modern KDE libraries), etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Grapevine:

Sooner or later,you'll find one that works well for your needs.

One you might explore is VLC-available in the Synaptic Package Manager.

I use it in its lightest weight version and see from your post you need it to do more and I'll defer to others on that who have souped it it.

That said,I like it's sound(with that twenty dollar Creative Audigy Se sound card that is ubiquitous).

Among its other virtues,it has an option to feed it to a Sony/Phillips Digital Interface out,to feed the sound to an external DAC if you wish to. Also,there is a simple graphic equalizer and an onboard volume control that functions as a preamplifier.

Best wishes finding the best one. Enjoy the hunt.

Beans
    Distro

Running 10.04 on a Dell Dimension desktop, playback via external amp and speakers or high quality headphones. Over the years I have tried most of the available music players finally throwing in the towel with Exaile, constantly crashing. Now using XBMC media player, not perfect but stores, catalogues and plays my very large music collection with aplomb. Fussy interface, slow cursor and lack of easy access volume control are the main gripes but still the best of a bad bunch.
    If only J.Rivers could run in Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Try Clementine~
    Best Ive ever found/used!

and it also works as rhythmbox does now, in the volume control applet!

But it's far better than rhythmbox!
    Inspired by amarok.

http://www.clementine-player.org/

It's an amazing piece of software!
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    Try Clementine~
    Best Ive ever found/used!

and it also works as rhythmbox does now, in the volume control applet!

But it's far better than rhythmbox!
    Inspired by amarok.

http://www.clementine-player.org/

It's an amazing piece of software!
    I agree totally with Clementine. Im even a new Clementine user and its amazing. And funny, I never used Amarok 1.4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro View Post
    I agree totally with Clementine. Im even a new Clementine user and its amazing. And funny, I never used Amarok 1.4.
    Yeah, I never used it either.

I did install it sometime last year..
    checked it out..
    found there was something I didnt like, so removed it. lol

I thinkIve tried just about every "major" music player there is for Ubuntu/Linux..
    and even a few "not-so-major" ones..

Every one that Ive tried..
    There was always something I didnt like..
    or that didnt do exactly what it should..

Then I tried clementine a few months ago..
    and after a day or two of using it..
    Decided this is the one! lol

I like it more than i used to like winamp, when i was on windows.. and i loved winamp! lol

I also love how clementines "side panel", and "equalizer", and everything else changes with the main color of your theme.
    (and the equalizer is best ive found also!)
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    To name a few: guayadeque, exaile, audacious, deadbeef, clementine (amarok1 ported to modern KDE libraries), etc.
    Thanks for turning me on to clementine. I used to like the old amarok and this is perfect for my needs. Great no-nonsense music player.

Edit: Clementine might just be the best all around music player I've ever used. Since there's a windows version, I'll have to let my friends know about it.
    Last edited by johntaylor1887; January 24th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, drat. clementine-player.org is not accessible where I live.

For fun, I tried amarok for about 10 minutes and then uninstalled it. Seemed OK when sorting by artist, but I prefer sorting by album. Then, out of 4700 tracks on my ipod, it showed me only 10 or so. Whaaaaa? That's silly. Plus I hate the volume control. Rotary knobs by mouse are one of the most idiotic interface developments ever.

Would like to try clementine but don't know where to get the .deb. Any hints? (As stated above, the downloads page at clementine-player.org won't help me.)

Update: I really need to quit posting questions, then finding the answer on my own 10 seconds later.

http://code.google.com/p/clementine-...downloads/list
    Last edited by dewdrop_world; January 24th, 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Found it!

Beans
    Distro

Spoke too soon. It doesn't install.

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      libqt4-sql-sqlite: Depends: libqt4-sql (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0-0ubuntu2~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed
                         Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0-0ubuntu2~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed
    How do you fix version-specific dependencies like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast