Thread: Copy existing driver from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Copy existing driver from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Hi All,
    I have ubuntu installed on my laptop which works fine. It has a pcmcia wifi card. When I tried to run the kubuntu live cd it couldn't find the card. As the drivers will be the same how do I find the drivers to allow me to use kubuntu?
    I plan to make a live usb which I'll add the drivers to so that it'll work each time I plug in. Alternatively if I can find the drivers then I'll just enable them each time via the cd.
    Thanks
    Tom

Beans
    Distro

Re: Copy existing driver from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Knowing what your pcmia card is would help
    MY KID <<<<<<

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, unfortunately I'm at work at the moment and the laptop is at home. I was hoping the drivers would be in a certain location or found by a certain method irrespective of what the actual driver was.

Beans
    Distro

This is from an old post but still kind of relevant. It's a lot better just to list what pcmcia card you have and search from there.
    All the drivers are built into the kernel, With dapper came a upgraded kerenel which probbaly includes your drivers when the old beezy kernel didnt.

Run this command and find out what driver your wifi is using, If it is a usb card look at the "usbcore" line

lsmod

That is the name of the dirver, then run

locate name

and you will see where the file is. It is usually something like /src/kernelxx/drivers/net/wireless

You can try and save the driver files, but they wont work with any other kernel versions so say you have kernel 2.6.15-26-k7 on dapper now and you install say fedora at kernel 2.6.15-25-k7 then then dapper files wont work, But if you find a distro with the same kernel you have now they should already be included,
    MY KID <<<<<<

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    My card is a USRobotics USR5412 pcmcia card. As far as I can tell this doesn't work straight out of the box - the laptop was given to me working so I don't know what was done to get it to work.
    My kernel is 2.6.35-25-generic.
    According to 'additional drivers' my laptop has the 'broadcom sta proprietary wireless driver' installed and in use. When I tried to install that on the Live USB Kubuntu it got right to the end and then failed.

Beans
    Distro

I found the chipset inside the card is a Broadcom 4321 type so I tried installing the additional drivers following the method here for the STA no internet usb version. I installed the first 3 packages manually but the fourth (/pool/restricted/b/bcmwl) errored. I tried it from the terminal window and it errored again. As such it wouldn't let me activate the driver.
    Any ideas?