Thread: WoW Cataclysm Works Great in 10.04

Beans

WoW Cataclysm Works Great in 10.04

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that World of Warcraft Cataclysm is working just fine under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I got it to work easily last night and its been running great on the low video settings. Maybe its me but I don't see any difference between the low video settings in Ubuntu and the medium video settings I was using under Windows.

My set-up steps were easy. They had to be, I'm not that good with Linux...

Step 1 I used Ubuntu Tweak to download and update Wine.

Step 2 I opened Wine and played around with it until I thought it was pretty well set up. Nothing technical here, I'm not a technical guy. I got the set-up advice on another thread.

Step 3 I went to the Battle Net download page inside my account and downloaded the .exe. At this point Ubuntu/Wine could not get the download button working. It kept giving me some kind of an error that I don't remember. I wound up logging off and going to the supermarket. When I came back the .exe button had changed and it worked. The download started. No idea why.

Step 4 I started playing WoW in about twenty minutes while the game was still downloading. Whoa! At that point the game play was clunky but I could still fly around Stormwind. In about 45 minutes the download was complete (mostly) and game play was just fine in the default low settings. I changed nothing.

Step 5 I went to Alterac Valley to test the game play under heavy action. About 30 of us were on Drek, spells and blades flying all over the place, there was absolutely no hesitation...no errors. We killed Drek and won the game. Getting in and out of the instance was flawless.

I built the computer I was using about 4 years ago:

Intel P4 386 32 bit 6 megs of cache if I remember correctly.
    2 gigs of DDR 2
    Cheapest MSI MoBo I could find at the time.
    Nvidia GeForce 9600 516 megs of video ram recently bought for $50.
    Brand new Samsung 1680 x 1050 monitor that worked great in full screen mode.

Holding control + Atl + Del allows you to drop the Wine window while playing the game. I was playing WoW, listening to internet talk radio and got a phone call on Skype all at the same time...no problem with on-board audio.

That was the last straw for Windows. Good-bye Bill
    Last edited by cariboo907; February 3rd, 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: removed huge font formatting

Beans

Re: WoW Cataclysm Works Great in 10.04

Wrong forum, and what is with the large bold text? lol

Beans

Re: WoW Cataclysm Works Great in 10.04

Congrats! By now I get frustrated with any Windows computer I find for its slowness and bad software.