Thread: Why can't SSH into my Ubuntu 10.10 Server?

Beans

Why can't SSH into my Ubuntu 10.10 Server?

So maybe someone can point me into the right direction.

I installed openssh-client on my Ubuntu server and Putty on my Windows laptop. When at home I can SSH into my server just fine. But I also want to be able to SSH into my server from work (the internet).

So I forwarded port 22 on my Linksys/Cisco router to the server and then I start Putty and try to SSH in by putting in the IP address my router/modem is pulling from my ISP. But the connection times out everytime.

I know I can reach my router from the internet... I can log right into it. But either it isn't forwarding the port or the server isn't accepting it.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why can't SSH into my Ubuntu 10.10 Server?

I think you should install openssh-server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i am a moron
    Last edited by Jlayman; February 2nd, 2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: because i cant read

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A few thoughts:

Most ISPs lease you an IP address that may change over time (around 24hrs). To simplify this problem, I would recommend subscribing to a Dynamic DNS service (like DynDNS), and installing the ddclient on your server.

Since the port 22 is a very well known port for ssh. I would suggest changing it for a higher number for several reasons:
    1. Security. So your home server and network would be a little more hidden.
    2. Your IT team at work may be blocking the port (not necesarily because they want to prevent you from sshing)
    3. Your ISP may be blocking incoming connections using that port. A rare case, but not unlikely.

Also, make sure your server has always the same local IP address, either by setting it as static, or configuring your router so it gives the server always the same IP (reserve).

I hope it helps,
    Regards.