Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Windows Installer launch error message

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    5

    Question Windows Installer launch error message

    I want to download and install Ubuntu to run alongside Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration. I went to this page:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...dows-installer

    .....and downloaded the Windows Installer, but when I try to launch it I get an error message which I captured and attached to this post. What's really wierd is that once the message is displayed, I can't get rid of it. Even running the Task Manager to try to close the message doesn't work. I literally have to restart the computer to get rid of the message!

    Am I suppose to be downloading the Windows Installer (Wubi) to a CD first where I run it from there? If so, the instructions don't mention that. Can't I download it directly to my C: drive and then run it from there? If so, why am I getting the error message? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    9,492
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    I have used Wubi 10 times on windows 7 and never seen this . Wubi is supposed to start the download and no disk is required . I would remove your current Wubi and download another or download the Ubuntu ISO and which includes Wubi on the disk and install that way.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

    If you have the disk you can test Ubuntu from the cd to see if it works with your hardware . Ubuntu will run slower from the cd.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I have used Wubi 10 times on windows 7 and never seen this . Wubi is supposed to start the download and no disk is required . I would remove your current Wubi and download another or download the Ubuntu ISO and which includes Wubi on the disk and install that way.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

    If you have the disk you can test Ubuntu from the cd to see if it works with your hardware . Ubuntu will run slower from the cd.
    I went to http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/ and re-downloaded Wubi.exe from there. When I hit the "Run" button..... same thing happened. The message popped up and I had to restart my computer to get rid of it.

    I just reinstalled Win7 on this Dell laptop (i7 820QM with 8gb ram), so the OS is fast, clean, and smooth. Can't imagine what could be happening.... guess I will have to go buy a blank DVD-R.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Running it off a DVD or CD won't make a difference. This is an error that python gives (Wubi uses python) when it finds a drive letter assigned to an empty drive. Usually a MMC card reader. So just disable/remove that and any other extraneous peripherals you have.

    It actually can install if you keep clicking Continue, but it's a pain (it's not the endless loop it appears to be). Also, you can kill it from task manager rather than having to restart windows.

    PS if you install wubi, make sure you lock grub-pc and grub-common as soon as you get it booted. See the wubi megathread for details.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Running it off a DVD or CD won't make a difference. This is an error that python gives (Wubi uses python) when it finds a drive letter assigned to an empty drive. Usually a MMC card reader. So just disable/remove that and any other extraneous peripherals you have.

    It actually can install if you keep clicking Continue, but it's a pain (it's not the endless loop it appears to be). Also, you can kill it from task manager rather than having to restart windows.

    PS if you install wubi, make sure you lock grub-pc and grub-common as soon as you get it booted. See the wubi megathread for details.

    Thanks bcbc..... I did as you said and kept hitting the Continue button about 8-10 times and the Ubuntu Installer dialogue box came up to start the download.

    Before I get this started, I have another question...... You said to lock grub-pc and grub-common as soon as I get it booted. I went to the wubi megathread and it states: "Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and select the grub-pc and grub-common packages. Click on Package > Lock Version." Is this the "System" within the Control Panel? If so, I cannot find an "Administration" option on the "System" page. I just want to make sure I have all of this completely understood before I install the Ubuntu OS. Thanks..... Craig

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
    Thanks bcbc..... I did as you said and kept hitting the Continue button about 8-10 times and the Ubuntu Installer dialogue box came up to start the download.

    Before I get this started, I have another question...... You said to lock grub-pc and grub-common as soon as I get it booted. I went to the wubi megathread and it states: "Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and select the grub-pc and grub-common packages. Click on Package > Lock Version." Is this the "System" within the Control Panel? If so, I cannot find an "Administration" option on the "System" page. I just want to make sure I have all of this completely understood before I install the Ubuntu OS. Thanks..... Craig
    Locking the grub-* packages has to be done in Ubuntu. So, let the Windows install complete... then reboot, select Ubuntu. Then let the Ubuntu installer complete - once complete it reboots automatically. Then boot into Ubuntu again, sign in. Now you can lock the packages.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    8,255
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Just to add to what bcbc already said;

    if you are using the regular version of Ubuntu, which has Gnome installed by default, then the menu is located on the top panel, so System > Administration > Synaptic

    If you are using another desktop, such as KDE:
    Code:
    gksu synaptic
    in the terminal

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    5

    Smile Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Just to add to what bcbc already said;

    if you are using the regular version of Ubuntu, which has Gnome installed by default, then the menu is located on the top panel, so System > Administration > Synaptic

    If you are using another desktop, such as KDE:
    Code:
    gksu synaptic
    in the terminal
    Got it..... thanks! Will return to the forum if I have any problems.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    8,255
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    No problem, let us know if everything works out for you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: Windows Installer launch error message

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    No problem, let us know if everything works out for you.
    Installed smoothly and easily, then locked the grub-pc and grub-common packages w/o any problems...... Now it's just a matter of learning this new OS. Like it so far..... very fast. Thanks Guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •