Thread: Here is my dmesg. Care to improve my setup?

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is my dmesg. Care to improve my setup?

Hello, community!

I don't have an issue per se, but am here looking to improve my setup.

I run an ASUS eeepc 1201N, dual booting Ubuntu and win7, and it was installed as 10.04 (made the Upgrade (not reinstalled) to 10.10)
    I use it mainly for Mathematica/random web use/research(pdf/djvu/whatnot library)/ssh'ing to my box at home.

This is my second Ubuntu machine/install, but I still find things to customize/upgrade almost everyday, as I guess is common place amongst Linux users. Therefore, I reckon I might have a lot of 'trash' lying around the machine, slowing it down and taking up unecessary space.

Probably the most common solution is reinstalling it from scratch, and I will eventually do it once I have less work to do.
    Care to guide me through the process of cleaning it up? Any common tips?

Here is the output of dmesg. Some warning I am not paying attention to? Some obvious process I can tweak to improve boot time?
    Code:
    <user>@<host>:~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          1759       1452        306          0        299        703
    -/+ buffers/cache:        450       1309
    Swap:         3071          0       3071
    I use gnome and am only running pidgin, chrome and terminal (two tabs (one is ssh, other where I got this output)) and am connected using wifi. Why the 450MB of used memory?
    I followed this page to set up a swap file, seeing as I had not made a separate swap partition. However, it never gets used and I cannot hibernate (don't remember being able to, previously)

Code:
    <user>@<host>:~$ fdisk -l
    (...)
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1        7956    63897600    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2           13055       30399   139323712+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3            7957       13054    40949685   83  Linux
    sda1: win7; sda2: storage; sda3: ubuntu

Code:
    <user>@<host>:~$ nano /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab
    # <file system>         <mount point>   <type> <options>                                               <dump>  <pass>

proc                    /proc           proc   nodev,noexec,nosuid                                     0       0
    /swapfile               none            swap   sw                                                      0       0

#/dev/sda3:
    UUID=<UUID>   /         ext4      errors=remount-ro                      0       1
    #/dev/sda2:
    #UUID=<UUID>  /media/store    ntfs   defaults,noauto,user,nls=utf8,umask=0222,exec,rw,sync   0       0
    #/dev/sda1:
    #UUID=<UUID>  /media/win7     ntfs   defaults,noauto,user,nls=utf8,umask=0222,exec,rw,sync   0       0

What other info can I provide? Feel free to redirect me to the proper community to find what I seek.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Last edited by ploft; February 1st, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: adding info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Here is my dmesg. Care to improve my setup?

To clean up install bleachbit to remove old data
    sudo apt-get install bleachbit
    and install ubuntu tweak to clear cache and old packages
    http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/0....5.10-1_all.deb

Hope this helps!