Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Ubuntu to host 9660 images for Windows Clients - Help!

Beans

Using Ubuntu to host 9660 images for Windows Clients - Help!

Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help me... My overall aim is to be able to share mounted CD images over the network to Windows clients.

I've been generally following instructions from two tutorials but have also searched google and the forums:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5639?page=0,0
    and
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/CDServer-HOWTO/procedure.html

Now I'm behind a corporate firewall so can't use the Software Center to install packages but have installed the following:
    Samba - http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/samba
    WinBind - http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/winbind
    ISO Master - As a GUI for creating images
    GMount - As a Gui for mounting the images

Basically I can mount the images. I can share the folder containg all the mounted images using the GUI (right click > Sharing Options) or write some lines in the smb.conf file.

From the Windows clients I can see the share with the mounted images and I can list the files at the top level of the mounted images but I can access any of the files or folders.

Another wierd thing is I can't attempt to run the Setup.exe locally on the Ubuntu machine, it just says Permission Denied.

I'm sure its got something to do with the images being mounted as root.
    So my question is can you mount an image as 9660 without it being 'owned' by root?

is there another way to share mounted images?

or am I missing something in what I'm trying to do?

Massive Thanks
    mwtwelve

Beans

Re: Using Ubuntu to host 9660 images for Windows Clients - Help!

There is a PXE server if you are trying to deploy images for install. If you install "system-config-samba" you should be able to know exactly how your samba is setup.

For gaining ownership of the file on the local computer you might just have to
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 "file location here"
    You might not want to use 777. IF you don't understand chmod please look at this page

PS. For making your links easier to read and cleaner just use [URL ="website address here"]text to display[ /URL] I added spaces between URL= and /URL so you can see how to do it.
    Last edited by Kirboosy; February 3rd, 2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added hyperlinking, fixed package name
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I have a similar setup, though I only share a couple of ISOs. I simply share the mounted ISOs via Samba as read only to everyone and I've never had a problem.

Beans

Thanks for the tips guys, here is a bit more information.

RE: Caboose885
    Thanks for the samba-config-manager tip I'll check it out.

Does it give you a GUI to configure/check Samba?

Can I take ownership of a mounted image...?
    Do I just type something to this effect in the terminal "sudo chmod 777 /home/oxfdev/images/bigabc"
    or some threads mention I can use "gksudo nautalis" and do it through the GUI

RE: pricetech
    This is exactly what I want to do... Did you take ownership of the mounted images or setup your SAMBA at all?

Also do your Windows clients treat them as a folder of CDs or as a folder of folders? if you know what I mean..

Thanks

Beans

Hi,

I've had a play with some of things suggested and have got no where:

I didn't find anything regarding samba-config-manager or any other GUI installed by default...?

I couldn't take ownership of the mounted image; the chmod and chown commands returned "Permission Denied: Read Only File System"

"gksu nautalis" and "gksudo nautalis" both returned no errors in the terminal but neither actually launched the browser....

Most worrying, and I think the main problem, is that I can't even access the mounted drives locally. They mount fine and I can see list the top level but I get "Permission Denied" if I tried to access any of the files or folders. I experience similar problems if I connect to the mounts from a Windows client

Gracias

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"gksudo nautalis" is wrong
    "gksudo nautilus" is right! I just double checked and it works.

Beans

Its available in Synaptic and its "system-config-samba"

You could use gksudo nautilus but for my chmod is faster. Either way works.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Thanks for more tips I'll try them out now.

Has anyone tried using mountmanager to manage mounts, etc?

Thanks
    mtwelve

Beans

OK; just tried some bits...

Got the Samba GUI installed but it wont run. Probably because im having to get the dependencies manually through Ubuntu Package Search because Software Center won't connect (darn firewall!)

I still can't read the mounted images locally or over the network. It just says "Permission Denied"

I've tried "chown", "chmod", and "gksudo nautilus" on the mounted images and they all say that the file system is Read-Only, which makes sense however noone it seems can read the files!

I still think the most important thing is that I can't even read the mounted images locally...

Any more thoughts?

Beans

Where are you putting the images once you mount them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast