Thread: No nonsense streaming Ubuntu->XBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No nonsense streaming Ubuntu->XBox

Hi all,

I am looking for software which will let me access files from my hard drive using my Xbox via my home router. In the past I used Twonky for this, and was happy with the old versions, but ran into bugs with the newer releases.

My question is: what else is out there for doing this? I really like the way Twonky works, ie you run a script, turn on the Xbox, pick the file you want to open in video library, and enjoy, and I'm looking for something similar to that.

I find it very difficult to understand how networking works, so if you post a suggestion I would really appreciate it if you could give an explanation of how it works, for example, is it an application, what kind of network setup does it require, etc etc, and most importantly, would you expect it to work with an XBox. I am still clueless as to what Samba does, or whether XMBC is an application that can be run on an Ubuntu installation or a whole new operating system in itself, so please spell things out if you can

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: No nonsense streaming Ubuntu->XBox

Are you using an original XBOX or an XBOX360? If you're using an original XBOX, then XBMC is perfect for doing this. To use it you'll need a modded XBOX, and then you install XBMC on top of the Dashboard. Here are some directions to do that.
    http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/wiki/index...._XBMC_for_Xbox

Caution: this isn't hard, but is not for the faint of heart.

If you have a 360, XBMC works with alot of work, but wasn't usable the last that I knew. Twonky will still work, and if you've run into bugs on newer versions, you could always run an older version. It's just an uPNP server, so older versions should work fine.

Beans
    Distro

Re: No nonsense streaming Ubuntu->XBox

I'm using an XBox 360 - while I'm happy to muck about with my computer...I think I'll leave my Xbox well alone

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] Re: No nonsense streaming Ubuntu->XBox

After a bit of hunting around I found this video describing how to set up ushare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oW9Y0lwF8

It does the business on 10.10