Thread: multi booting Linux distros, made simple pls..

Beans

multi booting Linux distros, made simple pls..

I am trying to partition my .Hdrive ,using the sys rescue cd but gparted does not allow me or rather the sub context menu 'resize' option is not available.
    The resue cd runs off the ram from the cd tray which it ejects.
    i have fedora14 on & it reads LVM . this is normally my external drive but to make it easier i removed Ubuntu's Drive (cheat)..& placed the fedora as to avoid accidents on my Ubuntu.
    I've been trying to edit the grub.config OR menu.lst for 'shamefully' over two weeks ,read countless ways of 'multi booting LINUX not Windows & i'm still nowhere.
    'Chainloading' I'm stuck in the part where i either decide to purge grub2 or NOT ! find a startup manager which if i understood will make the option of choosing the os ,edit menu.lst ' set the MBR with grub's Leg ?..or wait till 11.04
    by the way guys ,i had a peak back at 9.04 ystrdy & i have saw that Ubuntu always worked fine but yet so many are busy everyday improving ..amazing really. That's what i like about open source ,some many dedicated people involved in constant; maintenance is allready alot of work ,yet you find room for speedy evolution which effects whole of society

editing the menu?... find the menu.lst by activating show hidden files from nautilus,then ... use gedit to enter extra 3lines somewhere around the third paragraph or at the end ?... title
    rootnoverify ?...
    ??....
    there's grub to be either purged or edited , vai text editor ,konsole , & grub menu boot too? which is where my keyboard keys change to qwerty & get stuck trying to enter the grub> root (hd0,0) .. etc ..
    i have now managed with bt4 on live environment & from there too Gparted says fed is lvm & locked , only formatting option available, but how do i make way ,??.. give fedora14 50Gb & place Bt4 on the same drive ,booting both choosing at startup.?

I gave up trying this on external drive & i'm starting to miss Ubuntu after a day with my laptop bottom uncovered & wind coming out it help
    OR ...

Beans

Re: multi booting Linux distros, made simple pls..

I just realized that i had left the post... and gone back to try with Bt4 .
    no longer have rescue cd in the drive bay ,ofcoarse Bt4 is on now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Sorry I got a little confused, are you trying to triple boot fedora ubuntu and backtrack from the same drive?

Could you give a list of which opertating systems and distros you would like to have on each physical drive?

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am also confused and have no idea what, if anything, you have wortking on the machine at the moment.

In general terms, if you have a working grub2 at the current time, I suggest you put grub from all the still to be installed OSs onto their own root partitions, and then run sudo update-grub, or just update-grub as root, if you don't already have a ubuntu family supplying grub. That will allow grub to find and add the newly installed linux distros to the grub menu.

However, more info please, about where you are at the moment, and where you want to be.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 1st, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

Sorry guys ,i said i had stopped with posting the help , copied the post ,went off and removed the rescue cd and placed Bt4 ... then still in the same predicament i came back and pasted the first mess and started ranting , ehhmm .. from where i then was ..
    Anyways there are three os i can access the actual drive from. of caoarse one at a time , only because i know that fedora has yum and Bt4 has sudo & that's why i mentioned both .

so NOW there's bt4 on live enviroment and fedora asleep ,;lol ...
    fedora reads LVM i wat to take some of that 45000 ytes and make room for bt4 which is etx3 format..;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have you tried Booting with the Fedora Live CD and using the Partition manager on that?
    System76 Pangolin Performance - panp7
    Intel Core i5 560M (2.66 GHz) - 8GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 4570, 512MB GDDR2
    80GB Intel X25-M-SSD - Ubuntu 11.04