Thread: Changed line in sources.list, now all packages think they are locally-installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Changed line in sources.list, now all packages think they are locally-installed

Hi there guys. I have an issue which is preventing my upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10:

Initially, I upgraded to 10.04 no problem. However, I wasn't sure why the upgrade-manager didn't show me that 10.10 was available to upgrade.

Not realizing that its not a LTS release and the upgrade-manager was configured to show only LTS releases I did something stupid: I replaced all instances of lucid in my /etc/apt/sources.list with maverick and ran apt-get update.

Now I have a very serious problem:

It still didn't show me that the new Ubuntu is available and I cannot apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Almost all the packages installed in my system show up under installed (manual) and installed (local or obsolete).

I have now configured upgrade-installer to show ALL releases, yet I still cannot upgrade to 10.10 due an error stating:
    An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
    E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.
    I have reverted all mentions of maverick back to lucid, and ran apt-get dist-upgrade. Still can't upgrade.

apt-get installing one of these packages does not download it from the repository, so I am concerned about doing the entire 3GB of packages.

Now after removing a non-important package, clearing the cache, and redownloading it, it still shows in installed (manual)I get this error from synaptic when trying to rebuild the index:
    GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid-backports Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...6/Packages.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...ce/Sources.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Okay I am stumped. What information can I provide to you guys which will help? I am assuming that a fresh sources.list, and fresh repository keys appropriate for a 10.04 ubuntu, along with some way to trick all installed packages that they came from the repository would be in order?

Update: I have used an online program (http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/generate.php) to generate a new sources.list. I am still suffering the same horrible error message from the update-manager. Help!

My latest step will be to download an ISO of Ubuntu 10.10 and add it a repository source, and see if I can upgrade from the ISO
    Last edited by weblordpepe; February 1st, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Changed line in sources.list, now all packages think they are locally-installed

Quote Originally Posted by weblordpepe View Post
    Hi there guys. I have an issue which is preventing my upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10:

Initially, I upgraded to 10.04 no problem. However, I wasn't sure why the upgrade-manager didn't show me that 10.10 was available to upgrade.

Not realizing that its not a LTS release and the upgrade-manager was configured to show only LTS releases I did something stupid: I replaced all instances of lucid in my /etc/apt/sources.list with maverick and ran apt-get update.

Now I have a very serious problem:

It still didn't show me that the new Ubuntu is available and I cannot apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Almost all the packages installed in my system show up under installed (manual) and installed (local or obsolete).

I have now configured upgrade-installer to show ALL releases, yet I still cannot upgrade to 10.10 due an error stating:

I have reverted all mentions of maverick back to lucid, and ran apt-get dist-upgrade. Still can't upgrade.

apt-get installing one of these packages does not download it from the repository, so I am concerned about doing the entire 3GB of packages.

Now after removing a non-important package, clearing the cache, and redownloading it, it still shows in installed (manual)I get this error from synaptic when trying to rebuild the index:

Okay I am stumped. What information can I provide to you guys which will help? I am assuming that a fresh sources.list, and fresh repository keys appropriate for a 10.04 ubuntu, along with some way to trick all installed packages that they came from the repository would be in order?

Update: I have used an online program (http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/generate.php) to generate a new sources.list. I am still suffering the same horrible error message from the update-manager. Help!

My latest step will be to download an ISO of Ubuntu 10.10 and add it a repository source, and see if I can upgrade from the ISO
    I made an entry in /etc/apt/preferences to pin every package (*) to version 'release 10.04' and priority 1001, then did an apt-get upgrade. It then returned all packages to 10.04 versions.

I still got the error, but when checking the web for other occurances of the update-manager errors I found this: There's actually a bug unrelated to this which was preventing my install. Its the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package which was moved from Base to Universe or something half way through development of 10.10 or something.

An entry for this package was found in my /var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log file.
    I found out about this bug from: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/614993

This can now be marked as solved.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!