Thread: Laptop Woes

Beans

Laptop Woes

Hi, this is my first post here, so please bear with me.
    My sister in law's laptop (unused for around two years) has a broken screen, so I took it and wiped Windows Vista and installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS today with the aim of making it useable via a hdmi lead to their tv.
    My problem is I cannot get the resolution correct with the given hdmi settings, and now I seem to have lost the Unity launch icons from the left hand side of the screen (forgive me, I am a Linux Mint / Vista user myself), with both hdmi and vga connections. Using the install cd live it all looked nice and worked beautifully, filling the widescreen perfectly, but properly installed, it just won't work correctly in widescreen settings on my Sony Bravia 32" tv.
    This is my first try with Ubuntu and I am trying to win some converts to Linux of some flavour, so I would really like it to work and I am sure they will be impressed.
    The laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6 1111ea, with an badly cracked screen, but the computer itself works well (although Windows refused to work outside of safe mode, so I wiped it).
    I am vying for screen time on the tv, as its the only set here with vga and hdmi connections to do the installation and set up.
    Please help me to win some Ubuntu / Linux converts.

Beans

Re: Laptop Woes

Update, I wiped Ubuntu and installed Kubuntu, problem solved. Now how do I get the sound working over HDMI?