Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 remastersys and RAM

Beans

Question Ubuntu 10.10 remastersys and RAM

Hello All,

So I recently made a backup iso of Ubuntu 10.10 (got it to successfully work in VirtualBox and boot off my flashdrive). Now I was hoping to find a way to get that iso to run directly off the system's RAM. I did some extensive Google searching and found a couple different articles describing how to do this being the most popular. The problem I seem to have with most of the articles is that they're either too complicated (like the one I just mentioned) or they don't seem to work with the iso made by remastersys. I'm hoping that someone could help me out with making my remastersys iso be able to run directly off the RAM (I'm hoping to be able to plug the flashdrive into multiple computers, boot Ubuntu off them, and then have them play a network LAN game together so the OS cannot be dependent on my USB). A second part to this is that the iso is just short of 1G and I was curious that if I were to et this to work how much RAM I would need to run the OS at a reasonable speed. In the way of any articles or instructions anyone might post, I'd consider myself a beginner to intermediate linux user (closer to beginner but I catch on quick).

Thank you all very much in advance,
    - blizzards7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 remastersys and RAM

Sounds really cool, hope u get it solved. I havent tryed this YET, but i think im gonna
    MSI K9N NEO-F V3 / MS-7369 Motherboard RAM 4GB
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Internet 3G MF668
    GRUB2:BOOTSCRIPT:TESTDISK:NOMODESET

Beans
    Distro

Did you check out this thread; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594694

I don't know whether it'll work with a remastersys iso though...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have u heard about this (Puppy Linux) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

and this (Damn Small Linux) http://maketecheasier.com/take-your-...ide/2008/03/28
    Last edited by runeh76; January 31st, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    MSI K9N NEO-F V3 / MS-7369 Motherboard RAM 4GB
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Internet 3G MF668
    GRUB2:BOOTSCRIPT:TESTDISK:NOMODESET

Beans

@reobedr: I'll try that out and thank you

@runeh: Of course I've heard about both and I've also tried them, I know they're made to run off RAM. Not sure if they work with remastersys but chances are they do. Simply put I like the layout that Ubuntu has and I don't think either is gnome (which I also prefer). I know these can be a solution but I'm really hoping to gt this to work with Ubuntu.