Thread: Art Tube MP USB preamp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Art Tube MP USB preamp

I am thinking of buying an Art Tube MP USB preamp to record podcasts on either Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron - desktop) or 9.04 (netbook). Has anyone any experience of the Art Tube MP USB preamp in Ubuntu? Will Ubuntu recognise the device when it is connected to a USB port? Any difficulties in using the device to record using Audacity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Art Tube MP USB preamp

I googled and found this pretty quickly:
    http://chrisatlinux.wordpress.com/20...er-with-linux/

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but I also found this, and I was hoping that someone actually had this preamp working with an Ubuntu machine or could give some practical advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have one of these, but I am just using it as a pre-amp. I have tried using it as a device but only the input works, the output does nothing. If using Audacity it could be useful as you could set your onboard card as output, and the Art as input. Latency and quality are not an issue though.

Unless you find the Art cheaper, I would go for another device. M-Audio fast-track pro or Edirol UA-25 are good choices.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your helpful reply. I simply want to use the ART as a microphone preamp for making spoken-word podcasts. I think that you are telling me that it works fine in this role and that an Ubuntu machine can record from it via USB in Audacity. Or have I misunderstood?

Beans
    Distro

Well, I can now answer my own question. Ubuntu 9.04 recognises the pre-amp as a USB device. I can record from it into Audacity if I set the recording device (view > preferences - top right hand corner of Audio I/O screen) as USB audio.In Ubuntu 8.04, nothing. I cannot get Audacity to recognise that a USB audio device is present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry for the no reply earlier, forgot about this thread.

8.04 and 9.04 are both depreciated now, I wouldn't recommend using them. 8.04 is probably too old to have the driver for the device.