Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Changing a frontend-backend system

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the boonies
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Changing a frontend-backend system

    I have this Mythbuntu (10.04) system working as a standalone frontend-backend.

    Now I want setup a second host that is just a frontend Mythbuntu 10.04 system.

    What changes need to be done to the standalone frontend-backend system so that it can be also be a backend to other hosts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Aotearoha
    Beans
    2,661
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    I had to do the same thing over 1 year ago.

    It can be easy or real hard way depending on the host name in the database.
    This page is your rescue..
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_...end_or_backend

    This webpage links to the latest backup rstore scripts.

    IIRC The default combined frontend-backend solution names the computer localhost. This makes it the hard way.

    You must change:
    - sort out a static IP/hosts file for the sql database server.
    - the hostname in the mysql control files.
    - hostname in the mythtv-setup (backend)
    - hostname of all the recordings in the database.

    The existing hardware config for the backend belongs to current host name. The last step should fix that.
    The frontend config belongs to the frontend host name so you may need to reconfigure that.

    You need static IP (& hosts file or DNS) so other frontends can find the master backend database server.
    You can use your router to allocate a fixed IP to the master backend by MAC address.

    Please make a database backup first.
    Please do not try unless you are able to perform backup & restore (scripts)..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    4,285
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    I had to do the same thing over 1 year ago.

    It can be easy or real hard way depending on the host name in the database.
    This page is your rescue..
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_...end_or_backend

    This webpage links to the latest backup rstore scripts.

    IIRC The default combined frontend-backend solution names the computer localhost. This makes it the hard way.

    You must change:
    - sort out a static IP/hosts file for the sql database server.
    - the hostname in the mysql control files.
    - hostname in the mythtv-setup (backend)
    - hostname of all the recordings in the database.

    The existing hardware config for the backend belongs to current host name. The last step should fix that.
    The frontend config belongs to the frontend host name so you may need to reconfigure that.

    You need static IP (& hosts file or DNS) so other frontends can find the master backend database server.
    You can use your router to allocate a fixed IP to the master backend by MAC address.

    Please make a database backup first.
    Please do not try unless you are able to perform backup & restore (scripts)..
    Um, thats not what the OP wants to do at all. He wants to add another node into his mythtv network which at the moment consists of a single machine. He said nothing about moving his master backend to another machine.

    @OP Depending on how you have things configured right now, it may be pretty easy. When you set up your backend ip addresses, did you use your private network IP or did you use localhost (127.0.0.1)?

    For the backend, open up mythbuntu-control-centre and enable the mythtv service.

    When you install the new frontend machine, you will need your mythtv credentials to connect the frontend and backend. You should be able to look at /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and get the username and password.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the boonies
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Um, thats not what the OP wants to do at all. He wants to add another node into his mythtv network which at the moment consists of a single machine. He said nothing about moving his master backend to another machine.
    ...
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    ...
    For the backend, open up mythbuntu-control-centre and enable the mythtv service.
    ...
    What section is the mythtv service under?

    Under System Roles, currently I have:
    Backend Role (O) Primary Backend
    Frontend Role (O) Desktop Frontend
    Desktop (nothing is checked)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    Exactly.


    What section is the mythtv service under?

    Under System Roles, currently I have:
    Backend Role (O) Primary Backend
    Frontend Role (O) Desktop Frontend
    Desktop (nothing is checked)
    from memory it is the mysql service you want to check, under the mysql tab.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the boonies
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    from memory it is the mysql service you want to check, under the mysql tab.
    In Mythbuntu Control Centre, under MySQL Configuration:
    • I should "Enable" the MySQL service on ethernet interfaces.
    • What about - Enable daily MySQL DB Optimize/Repair cron job?
    • What about - Enable MySQL performance Tweaks?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Beans
    3,239

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    In Mythbuntu Control Centre, under MySQL Configuration:
    • I should "Enable" the MySQL service on ethernet interfaces.
    • What about - Enable daily MySQL DB Optimize/Repair cron job?
    • What about - Enable MySQL performance Tweaks?
    Yes enable them, although I am not sure what the last one actually does.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Aotearoha
    Beans
    2,661
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    @OP
    Honestly very sorry to put you wrong..
    Mythbuntu must have a better setup.
    The default Ubuntu MythTV combined front-backend ends up with 127.0.0.1 localhost IP & hostname.
    This is a mess when you decide to use over LAN with multiple front-backends..

    I never said anything about moving the master backend but in essence this happens if you change the hostname..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the boonies
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    @OP
    Honestly very sorry to put you wrong..
    Mythbuntu must have a better setup.
    The default Ubuntu MythTV combined front-backend ends up with 127.0.0.1 localhost IP & hostname.
    This is a mess when you decide to use over LAN with multiple front-backends..

    I never said anything about moving the master backend but in essence this happens if you change the hostname..
    Its alright.
    I am moving in the right direction.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the boonies
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Changing a frontend-backend system

    Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Yes enable them, although I am not sure what the last one actually does.
    What actually happens when you - "Enable" the MySQL service on ethernet interfaces?
    Does it make any changes to the "bind-address = 127.0.0.1" in "/etc/mysql/my.cnf" ?
    What else happens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •