Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hello Everybody.

I started to add support for the upcoming Saucy release but it turns out to be a bumpy road. The acpi-call kernel module fails to build so we can't set the Gaphics mode.

So for now Saucy is a no-go for the 1015pn.

Beans

Hi ! First, thanks for your work !!

I have just acquired an used 1015PN laptop and noticed it quickly got very hot when using the Nvidia GPU. So I installed your PPA and planned to disable the Nvidia GPU and only keep the intel one : I'm using Xubuntu 13.04 anyway, so I don't need any fancy graphical feature (just using www / thunderbird / etc).

However, I think I followed the right step, but I get the following error when trying to install eee1015pn-acpitools :
    depends on : bbswitch-source but is not installable.

Any idea ?
    Best regards,
    Mahen

Beans

Installed 13.04 a few days ago, get the same issue as mentioned here:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    eee1015pn-acpitools : Depends: bbswitch-source but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/testing

allowed me to install eee1015pn-acpitools again...

Just a few days with no intel mode makes you miss the eee1015pn-acpitools a lot...
    Last edited by Draugen River; August 16th, 2013 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

Hello!

Thanks for reporting this! i introduced this bug when adding support for the next Ubuntu release (saucy) since bbswitch is in the official ubuntu repositories from this release onwards. I forgot that the package i referenced won't be available on earlier Ubuntu releases.

Fix is already in bzr and updated packages should be available soon.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unhappy Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hello mtron and all,

I just installed Netflix Desktop and playback is unwatchably choppy as if I'm watching a slide show instead of video.
    I'm using nvidia drivers on xubuntu
    I know I can play 1080 content because xmbc plays them easily (oddly vlc does not)
    My bandwidth avg's 20mbps/2mbps

Does anyone have this working? Or is the hardware just not strong enough to handle it?

Beans

hello!

i have no experience with netflix so i can't comment on that. the GT218 nvidia chip should be capable of playing it though. i tested 720p and 1080i videos with vdpau and they worked well. (deinterlacing is not needed for 720p but the temporal deinterlacer also worked without frame-drops for 1080i)

I know I can play 1080 content because xmbc plays them easily (oddly vlc does not)
    Thats no big surprise. xbmc and mplayer have good vdpau support what vlc lacks. vlc only supports a subset of vdpau via vaapi, not the full set of features like the others. Imho best media players for vdpau are mplayer (you can also use the smplayer frontend if you like) or xbmc. Also xine based media players work pretty good (it's much trickier to configure though).

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Thanks for the confirmation on vdpau support. That's exactly what I suspected with xbmc and vlc.

I think the issue is that the silverlight wrapped into the wine installation doesn't use the video card or doesn't use it properly. And I'm happy with the nvidia drivers otherwise - I don't want to mess with the open ones.

I dug around my smart tv features and the tv handles it fine so that's how I'll use netflix

For anyone interested, this was the q/a I tried to follow:

https://answers.launchpad.net/netfli...uestion/233085

But I didn't have an X11 Driver key in the registry. Creating it and adding the string value didn't make a difference either.

Beans

Dear all,

After a dist-upgrade performed 3 weeks ago I have now the same problem reported here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12518003

How can I solve it and restore the previous situation? I really want to avoid to re-install the system completely...

Regards

Nicola

Beans

Hello!

Could you please provide more system information? (Release, Arch, acpi-call-tools version, dkms status, syslog, Xorg.log ect.)

If you are on Precise LTS you coud try to remove 'quiet splash' from the grub command line and replace it with 'textonly'. This will boot into a text shell instead of the display manager.

Login, connect to the internet and reinstall lightdm
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get remove mdm 
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lightdm gnome-settings-daemon unity-greeter ubuntu-mono light-themes
    Now try to start lightdm with:
    Code:
    sudo lightdm
    If lightdm still crashes you will get some debug info in the shell, and we can see what's wrong.

Cheers!

Beans

Hello, how can I change the default boot vga (intel or nvidia) with a terminal?

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast