Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Cool Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

I haven't found a root cause yet, but after I ran the Switch_intel.sh script and rebooted I couldn't get past the Ubuntu boot splash screen.

I'm sure this was user error on my part, but if anyone else comes across this problem, here's the steps to fix:

1. Hold space bar down during boot to drop to a Grub menu
    2. Select a recovery mode kernel for your boot option
    3. You will be presented with a list of options in recovery mode. Select "drop to root shell"
    4. Execute the Switch_nvidia.sh script
    5. Reboot

This got me back to square 1, which for now is going to have to be enough. I'm excited to have a future option of switching to the intel graphics chip for battery saving goodness, but I'm going to wait for this to evolve a bit (and some needed kernel fixes to happen).

cheers,
    #!/ben

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Quote Originally Posted by mcstayinskool View Post
    I haven't found a root cause yet, but after I ran the Switch_intel.sh script and rebooted I couldn't get past the Ubuntu boot splash screen.

I'm sure this was user error on my part, but if anyone else comes across this problem,
    Oh dear, you have probably taken the script from message #12. Then it's my mistake, the newest script is in message #1. I will change the script in #12 ...

If possible, try again and report. If there are errors copy&paste the output text during executing the code. Thx.

PS: Is your output like ?:
    Code:
    ACPI needs to be loaded.
    Mode 1 is now set: After the next boot only the Intel chip is visible.
    A xorg.conf file has been prepared such that the Intel chip can be used for X11.
    The 'update-alternatives' has been set
    The library 'libglx.so' doesn't exist and must therefore not be deleted.
    Finished! Push a button ...
    Last edited by barthus; February 16th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks barthus for fixing the script. it was knocked together without much thinking

Anyways, Sorry for the late reply but analog life came in the way...

I have created a new set of scripts to make the gpu switching more user friendly.

You can choose your gpu for the next boot via a simple gui script and it does not require root password any more. The actual acpi_call is send during shutdown or reboot.

Also i have packed the acpi_call kernel module in a dkms deb file (It's included in the zip). This means that it will auto rebuild for all installed kernels.

Provided scripts

1. display-settings

This script is installed in /usr/local/bin/display-settings and hosts all the acpi_calls & functions and needs to be called as root (or with sudo)

Following Options are provided:

display-settings auto
    In this mode the script will look for a .vga-selector file in the local users homedirs (if it finds multiple files the newest will be used) and executes the acpi_call for the desired option (Intel,Nvidia or Optimus mode) and will prepare the xorg configuration for the next boot. If it does not find any .vga-selector file it will default to Intel mode.

display-settings status
    This will output current VGA Mode. E.g "Active GPU: Intel GMA3150 on PCI 00:02.0"

display-settings reboot-intel
    activate intel for next boot and prepare xorg conffiles for intel. The nvidia chip won't be visible via lspci and is disabled so it won't draw any power from the battery.

display-settings reboot-nvidia
    activate nvidia for next boot and prepare xorg conffiles for nvidia. The intel chip won't be visible via lspci.

display-settings reboot-optimus
    activate both gpu's for next boot and prepare xorg conffiles for intel. NOTE: intel/nvidia hot-switching is currently not possible!

display-settings powersave
    For Optimus Mode only! This will disable the nvidia chip to save some enery. NOTE: intel/nvidia hot-switching is currently not possible!

display-settings config-intel
    This option is for emrgency purposes. If xorg can't start and you are dropped to a text shell after boot fix your configuration by running "display-settings status". If you get "Active GPU: Intel GMA3150" run this Option and restart gdm.

display-settings config-nvidia
    This option is for emrgency purposes. If xorg can't start and you are dropped to a text shell after boot fix your configuration by running "display-settings status". If you get "Active GPU: Nvidia GT218" run this Option and restart gdm.
    2. zenity-vga-select

this script should be placed in $HOME/scripts/zenity-vga-select. When called it provides the user the option to choose the vga mode for the next boot and writes this choice in the hidden file $HOME/.vga-selector

3. vga-selector shutdown script

This simple init script is copied to /etc/init.d/vga-selector and triggers "display-settings auto" (see above) during shutdown and reboot. If there is no user-set .vga-selector choice available it will default to intel mode.

How it works:

The user opens the zenity-vga-select script and chooses the vga for the next boot. The zenity scripts writes this selection to the temporary file ~/.vga-selector.

During shutdown or reboot (early in runlevel 0 and 6) the init-script /etc/init.d/vga-selector triggers the display-settings script in "auto" mode.

The script will look for a .vga-selector file in the users homedirs (if it finds multiple files the newest will be used) and execute the acpi_call for the desired option. Also it will prepare the xorg and glx configuration for the next boot.

Installation

there is now a deb package for easy un-/installation available! see post #61
    Last edited by mtron; March 13th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mtron View Post
    Thanks barthus for fixing the script. it was knocked together without much thinking
    Anyways, Sorry for the late reply but analog life came in the way...
    I have created a new set of scripts to make the gpu switching more user friendly.
    Good, I will put a comment into message No. 1.

So far, my scripts work perfectly without a single problem. I will try yours over the weekend. Summarizing, the switching can be indeed considered as to be solved for the 1015PN. This is why I marked the thread 'as solved'.

Cheers.

PS: I had just a look into your scripts and recognized that you have done some big work!
    Last edited by barthus; February 17th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Beans

great stuff mtron!
    thanks a lot for this script ! I'll try it the next few days!

Beans
    Distro

cool . Feedback appreciated

I have updated the ubuntu wiki page for the Eee PC 1015PN with the findings in this thread, so please have a look if i messed something up.

If anyone could test HDMI audio and video out (maybe http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...15&postcount=2 works) and add the necessary steps to get alsa/pulseaudio working with hdmi it would be great.
    Last edited by mtron; February 22nd, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Beans

Hello everyone,

Tanks a lot for these scripts, the switching to intel works perfectly on my 1015PN, but I still a problems with the nvidia ion.
    Actually, even before I try the switching, the screen was messed up when I activate the nvidia drivers in ubuntu "Hardware drivers".

It is not a real problem for me because I use ubuntu mostly for programming so the intel GMA is enough for my usage of ubuntu. (I kept windows to play games or HD videos with the ION)

So, finally my question is:
    How do I do to use only the intel GMA for ubuntu? or at least make it the default choice if no script had been run before the last shutdown.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro

How do I do to use only the intel GMA for ubuntu?
    If you are using the display-settings script:
    Code:
    sudo display-settings reboot-intel
    Or manual:
    Code:
    echo "\OSGS 0x01" > /proc/acpi/call
    This will enable the Intel Cip and disables the Nvidia chip totally (also the nvidia chip won't consume any power)

or at least make it the default choice if no script had been run before the last shutdown.
    Again, if you use my latest scripts and make no selection with the zenity script it will default to intel.

So if you want to boot to nvidia use the zenity script to select nvidia or just:
    Code:
    echo "nvidia" > $HOME/.vga-selector
    Then reboot.

Beans

I have a weird error when I want to put the valu in /proc/acpi/call

bash: /proc/acpi/call: No such file or directory

even if I'm in root, there is the same error, so even root seems to not have the permission to create the file /proc/acpi/call...

Any idea on how I can force the creation of this file?

Beans
    Distro

you need to load the acpi_call.ko kernel module.

install acpicall-dkms_0.1_all.deb and run:
    Code:
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/$( uname -r )/kernel/drivers/acpi/acpi_call.ko
    or to load it automatically during boot add the line "acpi_call" to /etc/modules.

After loading, check dmesg output to read the hopefully good news
    Last edited by mtron; February 24th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast