Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hello,

I have a 1015pn, and i have just installed bumblebee 3.0, bbswitch and virualGL.
    When I restart my windows 7 with the optimus GC option, erverything work fine but when I restart my Linux, the intel VGA is no longer detected.

I didnt find a solution to this problem.

I think if Install acpi_call and restart with optimus option it will work but I dlike to find another solution.

Any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hello!

to use bumblebee 3.0 you need to install the switcher script we're talking about in this thread.

Once you got the package discussed here installed (see post #196) & you preformed the mandatory reboot, open the VGA-Selector , click on the "Advanced" - "set default gpu" Button and choose "Optimus" as Default GPU in the Drop Down menu & press OK.

Now your laptop will stay in Optimus mode across reboots and you can use bumblebee to start applications on the nvidia GPU. I've already posted a small bumblebee install howto for our eee's at post #274

Be aware that bumblebee does not work with vdpau (nvidia's hardware accel for video) and the HDMI port is also not useable.

If you need those, reboot to nvidia exclusive mode. (VGA Selector - Reboot with...)
    Last edited by mtron; February 14th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Ubuntu for the EeePC-1015PN

Beans

I m on Debian, I will use tour manual method on your google website.
    Is your git up to date ?

Beans
    Distro

I m on Debian, I will use tour manual method on your google website.
    Yes. Install the acpi call kernel module, and send the
    Code:
    echo "\OSGS 0x03" > /proc/acpi/call
    call for optimus mode. You need to do this every boot cycle, so you might want to write yourself a init script to send the call.

Is your git up to date?
    I use bzr, but it's not really updated. I am currently working on native debian (& mint debian edition) support, but it's not done and i'll commit it once it's ready for business.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

thanks for all your help mtron
    I appreciate it all
    I will be away for a week or two, then return with an update
    thanks

Beans

Hi mtron,

I used your vga selector and acpi_call with ubuntu 11.04 and everything worked fine. Even with 11.10 but now i got problems with broadcom wlan. If I set the router (german telecom 921) to wlan b+g+n the broadcom card connects but did not offer internet connection. I own a eepc 1015pn.
    Did you get same problems? Or do you know a solution?
    Due to these problems I tried a switch to mint debian. wlan is ok here, but optimus works horrible with bumblebee. After a restart the intel card is no longer detected and so bumblebeed can not start. Then I have to start Windows, set optimus there, restart to mint and then it works until the next restart.
    I would like to switch back to ubuntu since I like your solution for vga. Hope anyone has an idea about the wlan problem. If i set the router to b+g everything works dine but slow.

And many thanks for your work!

Bests
    Ralph

Beans

Ralph,

I had problems with the wlan as well -- I could connect, but it lost connection every few minutes and I would have to manually disconnect and reconnect. The problem only occurred with the N protocol (b and g were fine). After a long time, I finally found the solution and it has been fine for several months:

1. Install the proprietary Broadcom STA driver from Additional Drivers
    2. Enter terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
    Add the following to the end of the file:
    Code:
    blacklist brcmsmac 
    blacklist bcma
    You might have to restart for the changes to take effect, but basically, the open source driver does not operate with N well at all. But, when you install the proprietary driver, the system will keep using the open source drivers unless you blacklist them. Once you blacklist them, it will use the Broadcom STA driver.

If you still have issues, try modifying your wireless settings and set the MTU size to 1500 & IPV6 to Ignore.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Hi Nisitiiapi,

many thanks for your fast answer.
    I will try it at the weekend, because I first have to reinstall ubuntu.
    I will report, if it works.

Bests
    Ralph

Exclamation Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hi guys!

I know this is probably mentioned several times in this long thread, but I'm bumping for joy and hopefully someone will fill me in nice and quick. So, here goes.

I have a 1015PN with W7 and 'Buntu running side to side. I never play games or do graphics demanding stuff so I really only need the (less power-consumptive) Intel GMA chip. In Windoze, I use the "Graphics Switcher" and (obviously) have it set to Optimus mode. This is nice. However, sometimes when I restart my computer, and either accidentally let GRUB default into Ubuntu, or deliberately chose to go into Ubuntu.

Nb. I have never dazzled with the graphics in Ubuntu. I did a clean install of proprietary Nvidia drivers and this is what's running. Anyways. The annoying thing is that the next time I reboot and boot into Windoze, I am suddenly into Performance mode, with the ION chip eating power like a mother.

I assume(!) this is because Linux somehow made a ACPI call somewhere during its init/boot, which is later inherited by Windows. Anyways, this sucks. I don't want to use the ION at all, never. So, what ACPI(?) procedure call command lines should I add into what rc.d (on boot script) file to make it always use the Intel GMA chip only? Needless to say; I'm looking for the cleanest approach.

Oh gosh. I wrote a small novel just for a simple matter. It guess this calls for a simplification. Here goes..

TLDR:
    What lines to put in what files in Ubuntu for Intel GMA chipset to be the only one initialized slash used by Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

install the eee1015pn-acpitools package, go to 'VGA-Selector - Advanced - Set Default GPU' choose 'Intel' from the drop down menu and press 'ok'.

Now intel will be used automatically as default boot option for the next boot cycle (no matter what OS you boot)

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast