just wanted to tell you that bumblebee 3 is a huge step forward and works very good here.
As before you can install bumblebee next to our switching script without any problem (in fact you will need the GPU tool to put your laptop in optimus mode)
a quick bumblebee install howto:
- Open the gpu tool and set it to use 'Optimus' as default gpu mode (Advanced - Set default GPU)
- disable "Optimus Mode: Auto disable nvidia gpu" (Advanced) => bbswitch - which is part of the bumblebee package - takes care of the power state of the nvidia gpu
- install bumblebee
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install bumblebee
sudo usermod -a -G bumblebee $USER => replace $USER with your username
- test it with 'glxspheres' (drawing ~ 10 FPS using the intel GPU) and 'optirun glxsperes' (drawing ~ 50 FPS using the nvidia GPU)
Current Limitations of bumblebee:
- vdpau is not useable with bumblebee. You need to boot into nvidia exclusive mode to use nvidia's hardware accel for video
- GPU modes are not handeld by bumblebee (we have the switching script so not a real problem for us 1015PN owners )
- The HDMI port is not useable with bumblebee. You need to boot into nvidia exclusive mode to use it.
Thats it. Optimus mode is finally useable! Thanks to the bumblebee devs!