Quote Originally Posted by finny388 View Post
But when I went to terminal with sudo display-settings status nothing happened. No error and no text, just another prompt.
that's normal. Once you enable logging to file all output is redirected to the logfile.

Please send me the logfile and debug info. (see my post above) I can't help you if you don't provide the requested information.

So I went into nvidia settings and changed my tv to separate x display, saved the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.nvidia with merge checked
So nvidia-settings detects your TV? Once you did the edit to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.nvidia just log out and back in. No need to reboot in this stage.

Probably the display driver can't detect the eld info of your TV. Ca you post the output of
Code:
cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#1.0
(or one of the other eld modes , see the HDMI section here )

Also post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log . You might need to load a custom edid.bin for your HDMI device.

2. Do I have to have my laptop screen enabled as in the instructions? My tv is my only needed display
No, you can set the laptop monitor to 'disabled' in the nvidia-settings, but let's first fix your other problems.

3. Do I want to follow "https://sites.google.com/site/mtrons/howtos/eeepc-1015pn#TOC-Install-Ubuntu" or some post in this thread?
This website is just a collection of all the information we gathered in this thread to tweak ubuntu for our eee pc's. It's my personal setup howto. You are free to use this information to tweak the system but you don't need to follow this guide step by step

So, to sum this up: I need the following logfiles / debug information from your system:
  • /var/log/acpi-call.log
  • /home/yourusername/eee1015pn-debug.txt
  • /var/log/Xorg.0.log (with your laptop in nvidia mode, hdmi device connected, xorg.conf.nvidia edited to use seperate X-Screens, and after you tried to logout and back in)
  • terminal output of
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#1.0
    (or one of the other eld modes, depending on your hdmi device)