Thread: NetworkManager problems in other window managers

Beans

Question NetworkManager problems in other window managers [solved]

It works flawlessly in the default window manager but as soon as I switch window managers I start having problems. I think the problems are just with my understangin if how things work in ubuntu.

I have an Asus netbook and i tried wmii. I cannot figure out a way to enable networking. is there a command which invokes a GUI that lets me scan and chose networks? I have read other people's problems and tried several GUIs which require me to shut off NetworkManager. I cannot figure out a way to shut it off properly (sudo service stop - does not stop it). Other GUI's like wpa-gui or wicd or radio-wireless still do not work. I would prefer to use just the present networking solution (NetworkManager), but how?

Please shine some light on my problem. I would like to keep using Ubuntu. It works great out of the box but i would like to learn how to tinker with it as well.
    Last edited by h2sammo; February 5th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Beans

Re: NetworkManager problems in other window managers

solved thx to the gentoo boards.

nm-applet command works. I also installed a program called stalonestray which gives me a system tray so I can see and use the actual applet.