Thread: Can't install Lubuntu from usb stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can't install Lubuntu from usb stick.

Hi,
    I'm trying to install Lubuntu on an old salvaged Compaq Presario from a usb stick which I made with "start-up disk creator" in Ubuntu Maverick. I have installed a few Linux OSes btw & previously had Xubuntu installed on this one, but it was slow, as this pc only has 256MiB of RAM.

The problem is when I select "try w/o installing" it logs on fine, but when I click on anything on the bottom panel, the entire panel disappears. When I click "install lubuntu", the pointer turns into a watch/wait symbol, and it never gets any further.

When I go straight to "install w/o trying OS" it gives a message saying something about an unrecoverable error & that a desktop session will now be ran so that you can investigate the problem. Then I get an error message saying that "ubuquity" has stopped working.

My question is...
    1) Would Xubuntu have changed something that is preventing an LXDE version of Linux from being installed?
    2) Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do to get this fixed?

I have been trying this on my own for about a week now, and just can't get it figured out. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Can't install Lubuntu from usb stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch70 View Post
    ...Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do to get this fixed?...
    Apart from using Lubuntu on several machines at home, I often use Lubuntu USB at work to check computers I'm having problems with, to help verify hardware. I have had some unexpected results where Lubuntu/Ubuntu would not run from a USB stick, including a very slow HDD, and BIOS settings relating to ACPI and IDE.

In your case you can get to the desktop via USB, but seem to have display problems. I would start by checking that your Lubuntu USB stick is OK (sorry, you've probably already done this) by trying it on 2 or 3 other computers (you don't have to install Lubuntu, just try it).

If that seems OK, I'd look for graphics problems. A search for "Compaq Presario" via http://www.googlubuntu.com/ may reveal something.

It seems to me that 'buntu 10.10 is so much better that 10.04 regarding graphics compatibilty...but which version of Xubuntu did you use?

If you have another spare USB stick you could try Puppy Linux, as the results of this trail may provide more information.