Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vainfo error message

Beans

Re: vainfo error message

Yes, mplayer is still the best video player to use with vdpau. My PPA is targeted at ATI Catalyst users, but nvidia card owners can take advantage of it too of they prefer VLC.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The libva included in the Ubuntu repo is not patched to support nvidia proprietary drivers. As I said in the other post, you need libva from this site: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/

libva and vlc are already built for you in: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/catalysthacks
    You still need libvdpau, and vdpau-video: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/vdpau-video/pkgs/

I already have installed libvdpau1 from the repository and my libva1 is in version 1.0.4-1, as oppose to 1.0.2 in the catalysthacks ppa (I installed my libva from the Maverick bleed ppa, which is more current that the version in the official repo) Will there be a conflict?

I am rather cautious because currently mplayer and xbmc are working great with vdpau, it just kind of bothers me that vlc doesn't because I always like vlc. But I wouldn't want to mess up the other players as a result of replacing libraries that are known to work.

Thanks, Temujin and byciclerboy, both for the advice and your conversation. I am a total newbie when it comes to multi-media stuffs. There is much to learn.

Beans

That libva is not the one patched for proprietary drivers. I'm about to go out and run errands, but later today, I will bump the libva version to something that overrides that PPA.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    That libva is not the one patched for proprietary drivers. I'm about to go out and run errands, but later today, I will bump the libva version to something that overrides that PPA.
    Hi, Temujin,

Actually the package I have installed is libva1 and the package in your ppa is libva, is there any difference? Are they in conflict?

Also vlc 1.17 has been in the Maverick bleed ppa since yesterday and the version in your ppa is 1.14 so I don't think it will install.

I notice that vlc actually uses less cpu than mplayer on machines where vdpau is not available but it uses only one core (machines are dual core) whereas mplayer uses two. I am wondering why that is. (However, some h264 videos become unwatchable in vlc but play smoothly in mplayer. I wonder why that is.

Do you know if I can find a version of vlc that does multi-core decoding (ie. uses ffmpeg -mt instead of ffmpeg)?

Cheers.
    Last edited by beew; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Beans

Actually the package I have installed is libva1 and the package in your ppa is libva
    libva is the source package. libva1 is one of the packages built from it (also in my PPA).

Also vlc 1.17 has been in the Maverick bleed ppa since yesterday and the version in your ppa is 1.14 so I don't think it will install.
    The version from my PPA wouldn't install automatically because it is a lower version, but you can force whatever version you want.

Beans

Hi,Temujin,

I tried to upgrade libva from your ppa and got this error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libva1_1.1.9~catalysthacks1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/vainfo', which is also in package vainfo 1.0.4-1~ppa1~maverick2
    Also, I didn't seem to be able to force vlc to your version. Tried "force version" in Synaptic and there was no change, normally there should be a mark in the checkbox besides vlc to indicate that it would be downgraded.

What should I do now? Thanks.
    Last edited by beew; February 6th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Beans

Hi, Temujin(or whoever wants to join in)

Hope you are still checking in from time to time. Took a bit longer to install from your ppa because I was worrying that I might screw up the dependencies, so I was doing some background reading and making sure that I could reverse things if something went wrong.

I removed my copy of vainfo and was able to install libva from the ppa with no problem. Now that the vainfo error problem is solved.

I was not able to downgrade vlc from 1.17 to your version of 1.14 (force version didn't work) so have to disable ppas which have more recent versions of vlc, remove vlc and then reinstall it from your ppa, lock the version and then reenable the ppas that was disabled.

I need to install vdpau-video from your ppa, but it would remove vdpau-va-driver. I was hesitant because vdpau has been working well with mplayer and xbmc at this point. It turned out that things still work as it were after replacing vdpau-va-driver with vdpau-video. Are they basically different versions of the same package? Why the different name?

Ok, so I have installed vlc from your ppa and am able to check the box "use GPU acceleration" in "Input & Codecs". Previously vlc would crash when opening videos files when his ootion was checke

But I haven't noticed any significant difference in terms of cpu usage, it is still a lot higher for vlc than mplayer and XBMC which both use vdpau (and now flash as well)

There is one improvement though. I am using as a test a short 1080 p vido clip from BBC's planetearth which I got from youtube (can't find the link now) It shows a swamp of migrating snow geese and it has a very high bitrate. With vdpau mplayer and xbmc can play the clip very easily and smoothly, but vlc always stuttered and stumbled on this one. Now it can play it, even though with much higher cpu usage than mplayer, xbmc and flash (~10% vs about 50-60%) So it seems that vlc is now using some sort of GPU decoding which wasn't before, but it is not really full vdpau.
    Am I correct or am I missing something?

I have another question. You said the libva package I installed from the Maverick bleed ppa is not built for Nvidia drivers, then how come vdpau has always been working with mplayer and xbmc?

Thanks.

EDITED: Ok the bbc bird test file was not from youtube (it is a .mkv, stupid me). This is the link http://mirror05.x264.nl/Dark/x264clips/
    I found the link on the VLC forums (mrbeanz on March02) http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42328&start=80
    Last edited by beew; February 13th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    You said the libva package I installed from the Maverick bleed ppa is not built for Nvidia drivers, then how come vdpau has always been working with mplayer and xbmc?
    mplayer and xbmc use vdpau directly. The packages from my ppa do not affect these apps. VLC uses vdpau through va-api (libva), specifically the vdpau-video package from splitted-desktop systems. As you've seen, this doesn't work as well as using vdpau directly, but it is somewhat better than pure software decoding.

Beans

Hi guys.
    "vainfo" returns exactly the same message of the first post on the new Ubuntu 11.04:
    Code:
    libva: libva version 0.31.1
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
    Segmentation fault
    I'm using a netbook equipped with a nVidia ION LE chipset and the latest driver 270. Installed vdpau-va-driver and libvdpau1.
    Gpu acceleration works perfectly on this computer using ubuntu 10.10.

I would like to report this bug on launchpad, because obviously something have been broken with this last release, but i don't know exactly which is the package affected by this bug.
    Anyone knows?

Beans

Hi Temujin - there is a major dependency problem between your version (and splitted-desktop's) of libva and xbmc.

The problem is your libva has a conflict with:

- vainfo (easy to fix: just remove vainfo, as your package already includes a vainfo)
    - libva-glx1

Code:
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libva1_1.1.9~catalysthacks2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libva-glx.so.1', which is also in package libva-glx1 1.0.12-1~xup
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/libva1_1.1.9~catalysthacks2_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    When I tried to remove lib-glx1 from the system (an HTPC based on AMD E350 (integrated radeon 6300)), I found the following:

Code:
    xbmc@htpc:~/vaapi$ sudo apt-get remove libva-glx1 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libva-x11-1 python-bluez libva-tpi1 libbluetooth3
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      libva-glx1 xbmc xbmc-bin
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    which is something I clearly cannot do as it would remove xbmc (my media center).

If I install ubuntu's libva, all I get a crash of xbmc whenever I attempt to play any content.

Note: I did install splitted-desktop xvba-video, using this ppa that fixes a /usr/lib/dri link issue in the "splitted-desktop's version": https://launchpad.net/~rexbron/+arch...ixes/+packages

So I know need to somehow install splitted-desktop's libva to get h264 acceleration.

Any help to resolve this packaging/dependency issue would be great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast