Thread: Boot from SD Card

Beans

Boot from SD Card

Installed on SD using the USB installer

Installed Ubuntu Server 10.10 x64 on 8GB SD card in mmc reader
    How do I boot into it.

I assume I need to edit Grub, since I don't know anything about editing BIOS settings to allow to boot from internal card reader

Currently I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and openSUSE 11.3 on a dual boot, and installed grub with openSUSE which overwrote the MBR, so I cannot edit boot menu from EasyBCD in Windows, have to edit grub from openSUSE

How do I do it

Thanks

NOTE: I know I can put in external card reader and boot into it. But I want to install from internal card reader, so I don't have this giant USB thing jutting out the side of my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Boot from SD Card

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-fr...t-via-plop-cd/

try this boot cd and see if the card reader shows up. also with dell you can hit f12 and get a boot selection menu. maybe yours has a similar option. i wouldnt go messing with grub. its just going to get updated when 10.10 server enters the fray.

if that doesnt work, i have this opinion...dood you should be installing it to a partition. that way one time your going to "have this giant USB thing jutting out the side of my laptop." big deal. if it works it works....just be careful not to bump it until your done.
    thanks for using ubuntu. i hope your experience gets better and better.

dont forget that if this post is solved to label it as such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In BIOS try setting the SD card as first hard drive.

You might also try pressing F2, F10, F12, Esc, etc when booting. some computers will give you a choice of what to boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rocthrttle View Post
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-fr...t-via-plop-cd/

try this boot cd and see if the card reader shows up. also with dell you can hit f12 and get a boot selection menu. maybe yours has a similar option. i wouldnt go messing with grub. its just going to get updated when 10.10 server enters the fray.
    It is not an option in BIOS. I am looking for a hack.

if that doesnt work, i have this opinion...dood you should be installing it to a partition.
    I do already have it installed to a partition... and also have it installed in VirtualBox as well. I want to have a portable version on my SD Card that I can keep in at all times and be unobtrusive to my daily work. I spend 12 to 16 hours a day online or on my computer. I am a professional web designer and developer.

that way one time your going to "have this giant USB thing jutting out the side of my laptop." big deal. if it works it works....just be careful not to bump it until your done.
    Honestly I was hoping if I came on this forum and put I_Am_Einstein, that people might give me better answers, knowing I am smart enough to figure out anything intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    In BIOS try setting the SD card as first hard drive.

You might also try pressing F2, F10, F12, Esc, etc when booting. some computers will give you a choice of what to boot.
    It is not an option in BIOS. I am looking for a hack.
    Last edited by I_Am_Einstein; January 30th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have not used plop but they say they were converting it to boot other devices:

Boot USB or PCMCIA (new)
    http://www.plop.at/en/home.html

If you do a grub partition it may let you boot the SD card. You might have to load a kernel first, but not sure.

Grub2
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/...RUB_Partition_
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by I_Am_Einstein View Post
    Honestly I was hoping if I came on this forum and put I_Am_Einstein, that people might give me better answers, knowing I am smart enough to figure out anything intuitive.
    sorry didnt notice the name. gratz on being a superuser. we dont get too many of them on here. let us know how you make out. i think PLOP is your best bet. most computers will boot to cd without any mod to the BIOS. all seem to have it as an option.
    thanks for using ubuntu. i hope your experience gets better and better.

dont forget that if this post is solved to label it as such.