Thread: Mythbuntu Hardware

Beans

Mythbuntu Hardware

I have already done loads of research, but am still unsure on what processor to buy for my mythbuntu system. I was considering an intel atom, since they are low power, and my system will be on 24/7. Will an atom d510 or d525 be sufficient for running a backend, with one analog tuner which has hardware encoding? I might use this as a frontend also, but intend on mostly using a remote frontend. This will also be used as a small home server for both windows and mac machines. Any advice/ suggestions? This is my first post, and I have little linux experience.

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu Hardware

I am planning on visiting the computer store tomorrow, so any advice, however small, is helpful. Thanks!

Beans

Have you seen the comments by Slate8?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566529&page=32

You will have seen that choice of graphics and is very important -
    he uses a mobo with Nvidea graphics which avoids lots of heartache with myth.

Sorry but I cannot comment on your specific query about cpu load with analogue encoding - I run DVB where it isn't such an issue.

regards
    Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not sure if the reply is too late, but if you're not intending on using it as a frontend you can probably do without the nvidia graphics.

If you plan to transcode regularly (e.g. archiving MPEG2 to X264, etc.) then the processor choice could be important. My master backend has a dual-core pentium (E5300) and the maximum encode rates I see for X264 (on the high quality profile) is 10fps.

Good luck!
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 1234321 View Post
    I have already done loads of research, but am still unsure on what processor to buy for my mythbuntu system. I was considering an intel atom, since they are low power, and my system will be on 24/7. Will an atom d510 or d525 be sufficient for running a backend, with one analog tuner which has hardware encoding? I might use this as a frontend also, but intend on mostly using a remote frontend. This will also be used as a small home server for both windows and mac machines. Any advice/ suggestions? This is my first post, and I have little linux experience.
    sorry I didn't see this. But unless you are doing a lot of transcoding, with 1 analog hardware encoding tuner an Atom should be fine as CPU for a backend. If you are going to use it as a frontend try to get a nvidia GPU,
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thanks for all the answers. It is not too late, as I decided that I would just browse and get more information from the computer store. I plan on transcoding the recordings into both a high quality recording for the mythtv system, and a low quality recording to stream to my ipod touch. Also, most of the atom motherboards I have seen only have one pci slot. I have decided not to use an atom, but to instead use a more powerful processor to give me expandability options in the future., since I might use two capture cards. Any suggestions as to which processor I might use? I want something relatively low power, although I know nothing can achieve the atoms power usage. It also needs to be relatively inexpensive.

Thanks