Thread: Uninstalling from macbook pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Uninstalling from macbook pro

Hi!
    I recently installed Ubuntu on my macbook pro in order to test the programming capabilities.
    And I were not really pleased, so I want to go back to a windows-partion.

I have created two partions for ubuntu, swap and main os-area.
    How do I remove them and join them in a new partion for windows and mac to recognize?

Any help is appreciated.

//Ricky

Beans

Re: Uninstalling from macbook pro

I'll assume you're using rEFIT or BootCamp to choose your OS at boot prompt.

Boot from the LiveCD and choose to try Ubuntu.

Once the screen is set up, go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. In the terminal, type:

sudo gparted
    Gparted will list all the partitions from all your disks. From there, simply right-click on the partitions you want to remove and validate your choice. For the swap, you need to unmount it first (again a right-click should suffice). Don't remove your HFS+ partition of course.

Once all the partitions have been removed, select the empty space and make a new partition to format as NTFS. You'll need NTFS-3G utils to write to your NTFS from OS X, but you'll install that later on once you're back in OS X.

A word of warning: if you have already a NTFS partition with Windows on it, you can't merge it with the new NTFS partition you just created. In this case, instead of creating a new NTFS partition, just use the one that's already showing in Gparted and extend it to the empty space left after you removed you 2 Ubuntu partitions.

Once you log back in Windows, I strongly advise you to run chkdsk to prevent confusions and mishaps for the OS.
    Last edited by the8thstar; January 28th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Uninstalling from macbook pro

Thanks for the answer, I thought of a similiar solution, but in mac osx that would not work.