Thread: Suggestions on ubuntu friendly mics for recording music?

Beans

Suggestions on ubuntu friendly mics for recording music?

As the title states, I am looking for some input from other musicians who have been recording music with ubuntu on which microphones are proven. I am not looking for something professional or super high end. I do want something with some sound quality however. I will probably be using audacity, but any suggestions on which application to use are appreciated as well. I intend on recording real songs with real analog instruments and vocals played through a mic and use of overdubs. I would prefer something simple like a usb mic. I have previously used mac with pro-tools and do not want the expense or bulk of usb audio interfaces. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Bye the way, I use 32 bit lucid and maveric duo boot.
    Last edited by patjennings; January 23rd, 2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot to mention distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Suggestions on ubuntu friendly mics for recording music?

Recently there was a good article on music production under Linux in Ars Technica. You can read it here. Ardour is apparently a lot like Pro-Tools.

I recently posted here asking about mics, and the recommendations I got was Shure SM57 as a good all around mic, that's not too expensive, and Shure SM58 for voice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello patjennings,

I can give you a list of mics I'm using but none of them are USB mics. To be very honest, I don't consider that kind of mics a viable option to record anything, except for sketches and inklings maybe. Maybe even the best option would be to get yourself a Zoom H2 or H4, I think the unidirectional mics on those devices outclass most USB mics.
    As for recording, if you want to multitrack and use overdubs Audacity will probably not cut it. Audacity is a wave editor, not a DAW. If you want to record multiple tracks at once and would like to do overdubs afterwards a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Qtractor or Ardour would be a better choice.

Best,

Jeremy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm starting to get good results with my Zoom H2 and Ardour. I'm using KXstudio. I spent some time trying to get it to work as a USB mic but that was flaky. Did work nicely once.

So I tried a line out ==> mic in on the computer. If you put the push the record button on the zoom once, the mics will be on and the signal will be there on the line out. You can set levels and even compression on the zoom.

If you want to record tracks, I would recommend Ardour over Audacity.

Beans

I have to echo the comments of AutoStatic. Using a USB mic would not give particularly good results and will leave you with a bit of a turkey mic for if you want to improve your set up at a later date.

Personally I would suggest getting something like a Shure SM57 or 58 - these are very versitile and can be used for micing instruments, amps and doing vocals (up to a liveable standard as far as vocals are concerned). If you get one of these you could use a jack reducer and plug it directly into your soundcards input (assuming you are runnig on standard on board audio). The sound wont be great but at least when you decide to shell out on a better sound card you'll have a mic that is up to the task.

Good luck.

Beans

I will try ardour, I am unsure about plugging a mic straight into the mic input because I have tried it before with lousy results, I will try it again but it was breaking up alot and I could not get enough volume. Maybey my settings were wrong.

Beans

There is usually a setting in the sound preferences to boost the mic level. That may help. The sound breaking up appears to be more problematic. That I dont know a solution for.

Beans

Thanks for all your suggestions! i will try again with the mic input.