Thread: Thread closed for no apparent reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thread closed for no apparent reason

re: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=40

Is there a new policy on closing threads ?

I've seen threads closed because they turned in to a flaming mess. I've seen threads closed for severely going against the CoC or the preferred tone and tenor. I've even seen threads closed for having the potential of causing drama. I've seen threads closed for being old and (presumably) irrelevant.

This is the first time I see a thread closed for no apparent reason (well, the reason apparently is that the mod thinks "nobody has anything more to say about this subject", It was quite a relaxed, friendly thread where people share their experiences on giving support in a support forum. Didn't feel like it had run its course at all.

Beans

Re: Thread closed for no apparent reason

Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

The discussion was going round and round, the point had been raised in the Forum Feedback and Staff had answered it. There is nothing as Staff we can do about the subject therefore continued discussion was pointless.

The Forum Feedback section is not a general discussion area like the Cafe.

The Thread was not closed for no apparent reason, a reason was given and the reason supported.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The Thread was not closed for no apparent reason, a reason was given and the reason supported.
    I agree with this assessment as well.

Is there some reason you feel it should be opened ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's no particular reason I'd like that thread reopened, other than it did not feel finished to me so I probably would have posted some more in it.

I do dsagree with your assesment that "a reason was given". Like i said :
    well, the reason apparently is that the mod thinks "nobody has anything more to say about this subject"
    and that struck my as rather out of the ordinary.

Threads, even in FF&H, including those that don't reach SOLVED status, seem to just fade out and then slowly move to the end of the queue while new threads appear on top (random example : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1656481 ).
    Yet this one was closed the hard way.

I can see how FF&H is not the cafe and that the thread in question might fit in the cafe more than in Forum Feedback. otoh, people were providing feedback on how it is to be giving support on these forums, how they feel about it, exchanging their experiences, etc. That's also feedback, and interesting, even there's no immediate action to be taken upon the information you're getting there.
    So seeing that thread closed seemed rather odd.

ASo, all that thrown together, closing that thread seemed kinda weird, and unnecessary. So I thought I'd ask.

On yet another hand, the thread is probably so cold by now, that reopening wouldn't make much sense anymore

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

OK, thanks for the feedback then.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface