View Poll Results: Do you spend more time with the GUI or the CLI?

Voters
572. You may not vote on this poll
  • GUI

358 62.59%
  • CLI

189 33.04%
  • What the hell is GUI\CLI?!?!

25 4.37%
Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: GUI vs. CLI

Beans

Re: Command Line and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    I dont see how the command line is so powerful. You have to type something that you could just click to do.

For example, copying a file. Youd have to type some long drawn out command, or you could right click, copy, paste somewhere else.

Yes, its easier to tell them how to do command line things, and the command line can be good for old computers, but this isnt the 1980's (or 1990's, in the case of linux).
    MSFT and most system admins happen to disagree with you on this one. Vista is going to ship with a new Unix style shell for that very reason. Also you can do task in a fraction of the time it takes to navigate the GUI. For example If you want to move a large number of files to different folders you have to go back in forth in the different folders and copy and paste each file. Doing it by the command line only takes a few commands to get the exact same job done but in a lot less time. As aysiu stated earlier you would have to remove each package seperately to remove KDE in synaptic when that can be accomplished by just two commands. That is what makes using the shell so powerfull.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Hidden!

For example, copying a file. Youd have to type some long drawn out command, or you could right click, copy, paste somewhere else.
    "cp file /newplace/" is some long drawn out command?

I find it much faster using the command-line to copy/paste than to go through a GUI.

Beans

Wow what an old thread.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wow what an old thread.
    Ah, but still a good and valid one. i like learning the command line way. I feel more in control then click and something happens in the background.
    registered linux user #380455

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I actually started a newer thread not too long ago. The thing I think most people don't realize is that there are ways of doing things via a GUI. It is just that people like to set up their graphical environments in a different way. As defaults we already have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and even Xubuntu (not to mention Edubuntu). So it is a lot of guess work to know what the user's GUI is looking like at the moment (hell I get bored of mine every few months so I change it around). The CLI however works in a very predictable way, every command will work the way we expect it to. (Cept gedit wouldn't be a default in KDE, or XFCE). It is also SO MUCH EASIER to copy paste commands rather than look through menus. I like the GUI way of doing things myself, I believe Ubuntu is missing a few I would call key but I must say that since Automatix came out most users will not touch the CLI more than once (required toget Automatix dled).
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

cp file /newplace/
    I assume it is longer... Like "cp /usr/home/patrick/desktop/The Eagles - The Last Resort.mp3 /usr/home/patrick/music"

For example If you want to move a large number of files to different folders you have to go back in forth in the different folders and copy and paste each file.
    Ctrl + A, Ctrl + whatever it is to cut, Ctrl + V

But one thing (there are others, but I feel overall the GUI beats it in a majority) the command line is good for in my opinion: A server. When the server is running you dont want a GUI taking up RAM and stuff, as it is just wasting it. Thats why if what ive heard about windows server, where it is always in a GUI, it is worthless as a server

In the terminal, I just fire up the terminal with my keyboard shortcut and type
    That is one of the times where the command line is better. I like that the terminal comes up fast and I can install something like that.

But I fell it is a minority of the times that the terminal can beat a GUI

Beans

I assume it is longer... Like "cp /usr/home/patrick/desktop/The Eagles - The Last Resort.mp3 /usr/home/patrick/music"

Ctrl + A, Ctrl + whatever it is to cut, Ctrl + V

But one thing (there are others, but I feel overall the GUI beats it in a majority) the command line is good for in my opinion: A server. When the server is running you dont want a GUI taking up RAM and stuff, as it is just wasting it. Thats why if what ive heard about windows server, where it is always in a GUI, it is worthless as a server

That is one of the times where the command line is better. I like that the terminal comes up fast and I can install something like that.

You just need to get that new computer bought so you can install Ubuntu and play around with the command line more. I believe you will come around after that.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it depends on the user and the user's primary tasks. For me, you're right--most of the tasks I perform are GUI ones, mainly because I use Ubuntu for Firefox and Thunderbird and not a whole lot else.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No!

I came to ubuntu as a newbie, and had not used a command line since it actually did something in Windows (Win 98SE, DOS commands). Getting reaquinted with the command line was something I really needed. It really taught me automating certain processes won't make me learn anything.

Although I do enjoy Automatix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

You just need to get that new computer bought so you can install Ubuntu and play around with the command line more. I believe you will come around after that.
    I really hope I can get it soon, but I am just so bad at accually doing anything! Ill think it over a hundred times, then fifty more times just to be sure, then hope I will accually go do it sometime soon.

I think it depends on the user and the user's primary tasks. For me, you're right--most of the tasks I perform are GUI ones, mainly because I use Ubuntu for Firefox and Thunderbird and not a whole lot else.
    Yes, youre right. It depends on the user and their tasks. I would be more efficient with the GUI then terminal for most things because thats what I like. Someone else might be more efficient with the terminal because it is what they like.

(Win 98SE, DOS commands).
    The only DOS command I know is:

format c:

Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast