Thread: NOMODESET - making it permanent

Beans

Unhappy NOMODESET - making it permanent

Is there any way of making nomodeset permanent one has to reinstall?

I know at least 1 distro has an etc/sysconfing/kernel file you can edit to make the value NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes

then mkinitrd makes nomodeset permanent

Otherwise its a real bind to have to keep burrowing into the grub2 menu each time to make sure it loads.. :>(

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: NOMODESET - making it permanent

Quote Originally Posted by smudgy View Post
    Otherwise its a real bind to have to keep burrowing into the grub2 menu each time to make sure it loads.. :>(
    Have you added nomodeset to the kernel options in /etc/default/grub ?
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    It's still a 'per session' setting but you only have to set it once and then run update-grub to make it take effect on each boot.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Arrow Re: NOMODESET - making it permanent

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Have you added nomodeset to the kernel options in /etc/default/grub ?

It's still a 'per session' setting but you only have to set it once and then run update-grub to make it take effect on each boot.
    Thanks drs it worked a treat (educational also). Added parameters for nomodeset xdriver=radeon etc

Now all I have to figure out is how to use traditional ifup instead of Network Manager... Until then I can't use suspend/hibernate without rebooting Ubuntu ... I know from openSUSE that using traditional ifup works and all I have to do there is ifdown then ifup with a couple of launchers and then my internet is back. But in Ubuntu its not obvious how to do the same thing (suse have a yast tool with the same name as network tools but with functionality to effect change to traditional ifup and dismantle Network Managers grip on the network.

Any ideas welcome

(Then if I get there the icing on the cake would be to know how to add similar hooks to the suspend and resume scripts to execute sudo /sbin/ifdown eth0 and the reverse for resume).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: NOMODESET - making it permanent

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.