Beans

Playing .mkv and .mp4 files in Lucid

Basic spec information:

Model: Asus Eee PC 1201HAB
    Processor: 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz
    Memory: 1016MB
    Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
    Video: Intel Graphics Accelerator

Will provide additional information if needed.

Issue: Despite all the legwork I've been doing, I cannot play .mkv and .mp4 files. So far I've tried using VLC player, installing the w32codecs using medibuntu, installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, and did some gstreamer stuff. Nothing has worked so far. The best I've gotten is a blank screen with the audio. That's it. Your help would be very much appreciated.

On a not so serious note, I have also been having trouble getting my webcam to work. I installed cheese, but it too only gives me a blank screen. In spite of having a blank screen, the pictures I take with it show up in the file. It's a rather vexing matter, but not as serious as the above one.

Beans

Re: Playing .mkv and .mp4 files in Lucid

Go into vlc preferences and tell it to use x11video instead of xvideo or automatic. See if that works.

Beans

Thanks a lot man, that did the trick in both cases. I wonder if there's a fix like that within Movie Player too. I've added a ton of codecs so everything should work there in theory, but its not a big deal. Now all that needs fixing is my camera issue.

Beans

Press alt+f2 and type: gstreamer-properties. Change the video to x11video as in vlc, then totem should work. As for the camera, I have no idea.

Beans

Your suggestion worked, but the videos are very choppy in Movie Player.

Beans

Dont be suprised that videos are choppy. The atoms havent got much power, and most of the .mkv files I see are fairly big (resolution).

BTW, its not 2 x atoms, its single core CPU with hyperthreading making it look like its got 2 cores. Also, 1016MB RAM? You might only have 8MB (or less) alocated for video, that wont be helping the video issues.

Beans

Not to mention switching to x11video uses all cpu I believe. This issue might be resolved in a future Ubuntu release.