Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: comlicated problem, will pay for solution!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: comlicated problem, will pay for solution!!

Not..necessarily during the boot process, but eventually the script that activates /etc/init/tty*conf is run, and voila!: virtual terminals. Also, the boot splash is usually on f7 (presumably because it's running with X), and I think there might be extra info on f8. With Ubuntu, I'm not clear on the timing or the reasoning behind what goes where.

Beans

well that makes sense then

here are the logs!
    i went over quickly and i can assure you regardless of the logs i am not overheating and the computer is plugged in so it has plenty of power..

Beans

A few things you can try:

1) I think grub has a 'minimal' option to boot up without loading much, that may bypass the problem.
    2) I think you can selectively load the init scripts, when you boot but I don't know how to do it on the modern ubuntu distros. Does it give you the option to press any keys to selectively load different scripts? Might need to google for it, I don't remember it being a kernel argument:

http://superuser.com/questions/17110...g-system-clock

after you're in get a program called 'bum' (boot up manager) and start disabling startup scripts. In particular the one you think is stuck. You can always try and run it from "/etc/init.d/<command> start" when you are actually in gnome/kde and then see what errors it returns there.

Beans

so it still hangs of course, just doesnt say anything about the webcam script that i removed. it cant be related to that i dont think, it must be from the lib settings i overwrote.

can someone just email me their lib contents? i mean single files in the /var/lib only, not subfolders or their contents. should be undder 50 mbs. and assuming its on a fairly updated version of 10.10 i really think that would be the ultimate fix here!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm on 10.04, sorry.

Beans

can someone on 10.10 message me their email so i can get this going? im desperate for a fix here i have class tomorrow!!

Beans

That doesn't sound like the best way to do it. My /dev/lib is over 800mb. You have all the libaries with you. The live usb has all of them, and if you are looking for all updated you should be able to run the usb in 'persistent mode'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

Just do an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and you should have all updated, stock libraries if you want to copy them over.

Beans

so i fixed the problem and i have 3 hours to submit my paper online how haha thank you all

i did the apt-get update and upgrade that tigerstripedcat said, backed up my bad /usr/lib and /lib on my extra ext4 partition (made it for a backup, finally used it) and sudo cp -r everything from both lib folders on the live ubuntu to my old one, rebooted and cried a little at the sight of my login.

for those who helped, send me a message of your favorite charities so i can pay it forward haha this is too good.

thanks again

EDIT: how do i change to 'solved'?

Beans

Oxfam America of course .

While you're at it look into backuppc or an online backup service like carbonite or mozy (my favorite), both of these services are completely automated so you don't have to worry about manually making backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fantastic! You can click on Thread Tools up at the top to mark it as solved.

Fwiw, I wouldn't ever charge for helping people on forums. But if you had come to me IRL, I would've charged a flat $50 or so depending; mebbe more, maybe less. So if you like, donate some to MCC. I recommend their sustainable crop program in Chad, working with families to grow their own food.

MCC: https://donate.mcc.org/project/chad-growing-new-crops
    Charity rating: http://www.ministrywatch.com/profile...committee.aspx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123